2017 Nissan Rogue - Cabin Temp issues

After driving vehicle 30+ minutes the very warm heat goes turns cold and stays that way!
Next time you use the vehicle it does the same thing!

2017 Rogue SV

My guess, either your blend door is changing position with out your input, which would be extremely unusual. Or your coolant is low.
What does your engine temperature gauge read when this occurs?

Normal temp

The HVAC controler may be failing, here is a service bulletin with information about the failure;

HVAC cabin temp issues cost $3000 to fix!
Nissan Consumer Affairs declined to cover the cost. Everyone needs to keep calling Nissan Consumer Affairs to lodge a complaint. Once they reach a certain number they will issue a recall but it needs to be A LOT of complaints so spread the word!! Also, file a complaint with the National Highway Transportation Safety Assoc. www.nhtsa.gov - so they can look into it as well and put pressure on Nissan to issue a recall. I have contacted lawyers but they won’t start a case until they see more numbers of complaints - they also are more interested in a case if a death is involved which is horrible. This IS A SAFETY issue as the HVAC unit affects the defrosting function. To not be able to see while driving during a dangerous storm means someone could die and they should deal with this!!! There should not be a cost to Nissan owners when these cars are fairly new. I have a 2015 Rogue but it only has 43k miles so it’s like a newish car and shouldn’t have a worn out HVAC box. Make the calls, fill out the NHTSA form, get them to hear us!!!

Do you know the technical causes of the problem? The fact it cost $3000 to fix isn’t very informative of the causes. Some sort of computer controller problem? Or a problem with the coolant flow, blend doors, blower, heater core, etc? If you know, suggest to share the details, may help others here.

1 Like

That makes it eight years old, not truly “newish”. Any part, on any car, can fail.
On both manual and automatic climate control systems, actuators fail. Blower motors wear out, heater cores develop leaks. Over the past twenty years I have spent ~$2000 on these repairs on various cars, all were manual systems.
Heater core leak was on a six year old car, required dash removal to replace—stuff happens.

3 Likes

I researched the issue first and found numerous online posts in regards to it. Suggestions were to replace the temp sensor which I did. Another was to replace the blend door actuator which I did. Spent $300 on various mechanics for those changes and their diagnoses. Neither fixed the problem. Nissan Consumer Affairs told me to go to the dealership to get a diagnosis which I did. I spent $200 for their diagnostic that the whole HVAC box is stripped and the whole system needs to be replaced at $3000 total after I’ve spent $500. Nissan refuses to cover this cost even though it’s a known problem and can be a safety issue because the defrost is tied to the HVAC and doesn’t work properly. I learned this while driving through a dangerous rainstorm on the freeway.

Sorry you are having this no-heat-in-car difficulty. I wonder if there’s a work-a-round that would at least give you heat and defrost mode during cold weather? The heat after all comes from the cooling system delivering engine-heated coolant flow to the heater core, and then a motorized fan blowing warm air to where you want it. It seems like it would be possible for a tech to configure the heating system manually so that coolant is always flowing through the heater core, and the fan is always blowing warm air on the windshield to address the no-defrost safety problems.

AC is pretty complicated, but heat? Plenty of heat available from the coolant whenever engine is running. Heat, that’s a doodle in car-tech parlance. Not rocket science. Its a shame you have to live with no heat or defrost in your car in the year 2023.

That the whole ac box is stripped. Torn down? Or something is actually broke?

OP’s main complaint may be that Nissan Corp isn’t being as helpful as they’d like in addressing the problem. Problem with this complaint, Nissan Corp isn’t required to fix every problem that crops up on a 6 year old car. A little social engineering may produce better results. For example, when visiting dealership, say (politely) “I’d really like to be able to consider purchasing another Nissan from this dealership some day, but right now I’m having a serious problem with my 2017 Rogue, and wondering if you can provide some help?”

+1
I sincerely empathize with anyone who has a car problem with a large price tag for repairs, but once a vehicle’s warranty has expired, the mfr has no responsibility for those repair costs. And, for a vehicle that is 3 years past its warranty expiration date, it is extremely unrealistic to think that the mfr will pay for those repairs.

2 Likes