2019 Hyundai Santa Fe - Sway bars so soon?

mechanic says all the sway bars need replacement

Pretty much requires an in-shop diagnosis. So not a lot of options here. Maybe …

• Double check w/dealership, part might still be under warranty, may be a useful tsb, customer-service bulletin, recall, etc…
  • Pay another mechanic for a second opinion.

ON a 2019? I doubt it. find a new mechanic. maybe sway bar links. they are pretty cheap and usually easy to replace.

4 Likes

Swaybars themselves very rarely need replacement… swabar LINKS as @weekend-warrior mentioned, fairly commonly need replacement.

We now think this was a bogus claim from AutoMax because they had to replace a transmission twice on a mileage guarantee.

Paul Konigmacher

Even more common (and cheap): sway bar bushings.

What symptoms, under what circumstances?

1 Like

There must have been a complaint that inspired the recommendation to replace the stabilizer bushings or links, which ever was the problem.

What are the symptoms that led you to take it back to the dealer? All the parts on a 2019 should be original equipment.

AutoMax in Norman, OK

They had to replace two transmissions under warranty. Sent us an unexpected notice that the sway bars needed to be replaced. I think they were looking for some money back. Had a different mechanic test drive and he could find no problems, so we’re holding off.

Paul Konigmacher

That sway bar diagnosis sounds suspicious to me, too.

1 Like

Sway Bars are just that, steel bars, and while the linkages and bushings some times require replacement not so the bars themselves.

Do you hear a “clunking” going over bumps" or on hard turns?" Check the bushings and linkages first and look for a new mechanic.

2 Likes