2019 Hyundai Kona -Hyundai won't honor warranty

Bought a 2019 Hyundai Kona in July 2020. Around 50,000 miles, I started to notice that it was using oil between oil changes. At 75,000 miles, the problem escalated dramatically. The car was burning up to 2 quarts of oil per 1,000 miles. I started consumption testing with my local Hyundai dealership, which was a whole ordeal. Even though I purchased the car CPO with the 100,000 limited powertrain warranty in effect, Hyundai told me I had no warranty. It was a saga, fighting tooth and nail for the coverage I legally had. Finally, they completed consumption testing and did an engine cleaning treatment. Right now, I’m driving the car an additional 1,000 miles after the treatment to see if it’s still burning oil - and of course it is, but we’ll just have to wait and see if Hyundai will take things to the next step to honor the warranty, replacing the engine. If you’re going through a similar process or even just have a Hyundai of any make/model, I urge you: KEEP EVERY SERVICE RECORD. Hyundai won’t honor your warranty if you can’t show that you’ve kept up with services like oil changes. Write everything down. And be persistent! If you’re thinking about buying a Hyundai, do yourself a favor and buy literally any other car.

Sorry you are having this trouble . Not wanting to kick someone when they are down but this is my thoughts .

1. I always wonder why a 1 or 2 year old vehicle is back on the used lot .
  2. I always use the dealer for service at least until the vehicle warranty has expired that way there are actual records .
  3. I and others here just say that CPO means that it certified to be a used vehicle ( some of those CPO inspections took place in the nearest coffee shop ) .
2 Likes

A 2 year old off lease car is valuable commodity in the used car world.

1 Like

Oil consumption issues with newer cars a frequent topic here. OP might read what others have said prior using the forum search link, upper right this page. A lot of things can cause unusually rapid oil loss. One manufacturer – forget who – had a problem with one of its engines where the piston ring gaps would line up somehow, and oil would leak through that gap… The rings are incomplete circles b/c otherwise they’d be impossible to install on the pistons. There’s several rings per piston, and each of the ring gaps are supposed to be installed w/a staggered orientation. One gap at 0 degrees, another at 60 degrees, another at 120 degrees, etc. In this case they were installed staggered, but something about the design caused the gaps to align with use.

1 qt/500 miles. And you have 7k oil change intervals? So, you add 14 qts per oil change? So, every gas fill you add 1 qt oil?

Do you have that clearly in writing? The new car warranty was a 10year/100,000 mile limited warranty, but for the subsequent owner the warranty is 5 years/60,000 miles.

That’s standard for every warranty, either the factory original or an aftermarket one.

2 Likes

Before any manufacturer replaces an engine under warranty they are going to ask for proof of maintenance required under the warranty. Hyundai is not unique in that.

1 Like