2019 Honda Ridgeline - Transmission issues

2019 Honda Ridgeline very rough shifting 5th and 6th gear. We have had it to the dealer a couple of times, and they have completed the software update which did not help Service Tech drove the vehicle and noticed the issue but it is not throwing a code. They tell me there is nothing they can do until it throws a code. Extremely frustrating that we have to drive a vehicle like this with nothing we can do but get rid of it. There is a TSB and a fix about this issue with my current year but my vin is not included. Anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it.

You might try taking your Ridgeline to a top-rated independent transmission shop and get a 2nd opinion. Ask friends, relatives, co-workers, etc for transmission shop recommendations. Transmission work requires a lot of technical expertise and a commitment to using the scientific method. There’s usually one shop in an area that is known to do this, and for that reason all the local mechanics take their cars there; so you could ask the local mechanics for shop recommendations as well.

Ask the shop you decide upon if a transmission fluid maintenance service would be worth a try.

2 Likes

How many miles are on it and has the transmission fluid (ATF) ever been changed and or flushed and was it with Honda ATF???

1 Like

Apologize for not responding sooner. It has about 68000 miles. Around 55000 when we first noticed it. Yes, the fluid was changed the TCM/PCM software was updated. This did not correct. Then the Throttle idle reset position learn and reset was completed the second time it was brought in. Thank you

I guess you still have transmission problems . Have you not had an independent shop look at this?

It seems the car is out of warranty, and that’s an important issue, because the mechanic is now “free” to do a proper repair, without having to worry about crossing all the ts and dotting all the is

The fact that he says he can’t do anything until it throws a code implies he’s not very good at diagnosis

ANY decent mechanic that’s been around more than 5 minutes will recount lots of incidents where they properly diagnosed, repaired and VERIFIED the repair, all without a fault code ever being generated

1 Like

Wirth our 2007 CRV we had an issue that had a TSB that described exactly the symptoms but the dealer said the vin wasn’t part of that TSB but would take a look for a diagnostic fee. Longtime independent shop fixed the problem.

In the rare case where they’re not the right shop to do a repair they send us to a shop that will take care of the repair.

1 Like

Ridgeline forums all suggest that the most likely cause is the
3rd Clutch Pressure Switch P/N 28600-R94-004.
may not throw a code. Honda’s list price is a little over $100 for the part but it’s online for less.

1 Like