Tranny Probs - 2001 Honda CRV - 161K miles

Ok, my car is starting to act like a stick shift with a slipping clutch. But it’s an automatic! At times the car will rev freely, but remain motionless in all forward and reverse gears. Shutting of the car completely will temporarily fix this, but it soon comes back! Oh, and my check engine light came on, too! What should I expect for repairs? Where is the spot where we can look up good repair shops in my area? I can’t find it.

Find a good independent transmission shop (not an AAMCO) and have them take a look at it.
Just offhand, sounds like the transmission is on the way out and given the age and mileage of the vehicle there should be no partial repair attempted.
This means a complete and proper transmission overhaul or replacement.

If the transmission fluid has not been changed on a regular basis then this would just reinforce my opinion.

There’s a Mechanix Files on this site somewhere but given the admissions criteria I would not place much faith in it.
A better method would be to select a shop and investigate BBB complaints and courthouse records for instances of any court suits that have been filed against them.

I always start guessing at $3,000 as the low price for rebuilding SUV transmissions. If the problem is electronic, you can get it fixed for less. The check engine light comes with a code that can be read. Let’s get this party started with a code reading.