2018 Toyota Camry - Lane Departure Alert question

A guy at worked ask how my Lane Departure Alert w/ Steering Assist worked? He read and told me that it worked from the car using it’s brake to get the car back into it’s lane. I said no way could they use brake to get the car back into it’s lane. I said it must have an electronic motor of some type to the Lane Departure Alert w/ Steering Assist to work. Could use your expertise and let us know who is right . The car is a 2018 Toyota Camry XSE model. All kinds of bells and whistles on this car.

You can indeed use the brake to steer the car. Quite simple. The ABS system can command ONE brake to apply on either side of the car just a bit and the car will pull in the direction of the applied brake. That is how stability control systems work to keep you from spinning out on slippery surfaces and how traction control works to stop a single spinning tire.

Since this car has electric power steering, I would choose to use steering if I were designing the system. I read a description on Toyota’s site and it appears as though they use steering. The steering can be commanded to steer itself - i.e. the self-parking feature many cars have.

Some manufacturer’s have used braking to steer and some have used both together.