2018 Toyota Camry Hybrid - Keys in trunk

According to your owner’s manual, if you have the smart key system it should sound an alarm if you try to lock the key in the trunk, and you should be able to re-open the trunk by pressing the button on the trunk. However, if you happen to be in an area with the right radio interference, the car may not detect that the key is in the trunk, which may be what happened to you.

2 Likes

Since the exterior warning tone sounded, the vehicle did recognize that the key was in the trunk, it is then up to the owner to press the release button on the trunk lid.

I’m not being sarcastic at all. Our Acura TL would not allow the key fob to be locked in the trunk. It was a hassle because we’d try and lock the wife’s purse in the trunk with her key fob and it wouldn’t allow it until we took her fob out. Kinda inconvenient. So I guess no feature is without problems. Unless there is a problem with this feature in yours, I guess the only answer is to carry a spare key or mount it some place where you can get at it. On my Pontiac, I have a spare key mounted under the front fender. No metal so I had to pop rivet the case in place. Not a total answer since on an old car, I went to get the key after I locked my keys in and the magnetic case had rusted off. It was a 30 mile trip from the motor club and two minutes to unlock the car for me.

Funny! Probably good idea, except fr the shoe part. Maybe hide it somewhere on the car…

As I said, I keep mine in my wallet. I mentioned a shoe because you said you toss your purse and wallet in the trunk. It should work as long as you can find a place for it.

I understood and appreciate the advice just couldn’t picture me remembering to put a key in my shoe

I stopped keeping a key in my wallet, thinking if I loose my wallet, here is some cash, my credit cards, my address on my license and a key to my car.

In my case the key won’t start the car anyway, plus we’re talking about an 11 year old car that normally doesn’t have anything valuable in it. I can understand if there were different circumstances.

After it beeps, can’t you open the trunk? I can’t picture why the car would lock the trunk when the beeps tell you that it knows the key is in there. That sounds like a defect to report to the dealer.

Maybe we should all have programmable chips implanted under our skin somewhere so when we buy a car it gets set and as long as we are close by it unlocks the car. It could have our credit cards in it, phone passwords, etc. Sounds a little spooky, but since we are already carrying around all this stuff in a pocket anyway, what’s the real difference? I’m not likely to misplace my left shoulder. Displace, maybe, but not misplace.

Me, I dislocated my shoulder, not something you want to put on a bucket list, believe me! I knew right where it was, about 6 inches forward of where I expected it to be.

I dislocated my shoulder twice. Well, I didn’t do it, the guy doing the Perry move on me in wrestling practice did it. It could have been worse. My sister’s shoulders were so bad that she could just lean on the kitchen counter and dislocated her shoulders. No lie, real thing.

At least one guy has already done that. He had the chip from his Tesla key implanted in his hand.

MIT has an interesting cyborg program where they’ve been working on stuff like this for years.

1 Like