2018 Rio or 2013 civic?

Need something cheap and reliable that gets good gas mileage. Found a 2018 Kia Rio with 20k miles on it so it has some warranty left. It has a 1.6 L DGI with a six speed manual transmission also found a Honda Civic LX with 50,000 miles on it has a 1.8L with a five speed manual transmission. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Blockquote

What you are going to get is replies from people who might not like either one of those choices . You most likely like one better than the other so if possible have a shop inspect it if the seller will allow that . Have you even driven these ?

1 Like

This means that–on average–the 10 year old Civic has been driven only 5k miles per year. If the previous owner(s)–(there could have been more than one)–changed the oil on the basis of odometer mileage, instead of on the basis of elapsed time, the engine could have an accumulation of damaging oil sludge.

It could turn out to be a well-maintained gem, or it could be a potential time bomb waiting to explode in your wallet.
I always advise a pre-purchase inspection by a mechanic of your choice, but–IMHO–a low-mileage 10 year old car screams out for a pre-purchase inspection.

1 Like

Not yet. I may go look at them this weekend. I like a manual transmission and they’re not all that easy to find in this type of car. Thought about buying a new Rio but they all seem to have CVT transmissions; I’ve heard a lot of bad things about those.

Almost all of the bad press about CVTs relates to Nissans, in which case it is well-deserved. Some models of Kias (and their stable-mate Hyundais) have a history of engine problems, but I’m not aware of CVT problems in those marques.

Thank you guys very much for the help. I have read that Kia had some problems with the oiling system on that engine earlier on. I’m kind of getting the impression they got the problem worked out by 2018.

I hold onto old annual Buying Guide Issues of Consumer Reports because of their details on vehicle reliability. In the last year (2020) for which they listed the 2013 Civic, every system on these cars (including transmissions) was listed as “above average” or “well above average” in regard to reliability. However, poor maintenance can totally change that picture–hence the need for a pre-purchase inspection by a trusted mechanic.

CR lists other Kia models, but not the Rio, which suggests that not a whole lot of that model were sold. Other 2018 Kias are listed, but nothing negative about their reliability is noted. Most systems are “above average”, with “average” being the worst thing listed.

I’d definitely go for the Honda, after a mechanic inspected it, of course, for all the potential issues mentioned above.

Don’t forget, There may be no insurance available for the KIA

1 Like

Yes, the OP needs to be aware of that situation.

1 Like

If mechanic pre-purchase inspection says “good to go”, pretty good chance whichever you choose will be fine. If I were making the choice myself and for both the mechanic pre-purchase inspection passed, me, I’d choose the one with the least number of gadgets and gizmos. For example if one had blind spot detection, and the other didn’t, I choose the one that didn’t. If one was a turbo, and the other non-turbo, I’d choose the non-turbo. But that’s just me. I don’t want to have to be faced w/ solving a problem with a car-function I don’t actually want to have in the first place.

I presume DGI is incorrect, it is really a GDI. Gasoline, direct injection design. Not a show-stopper, but gasoline DI engines can sometimes develop valve &/or spark plug problems, so good idea to keep on top of the manufacturer’s suggested spark-plug replacement intervals & procedures, and mitigations for valve deposits. Check at dealership for spark plug & valve related service bulletins, etc.

Buddy of mine turned me towards carcomplaints.com that lists consumers’ experiences with various models and makes throughout the years. Looks like neither of the cars you mention have too many complaints against them

That said, I’d sooner go for the 2018 rather than the 2013 just because it’s newer and should have fewer potential problems in the short run.

1 Like

IIRC, the Kia Rio was the twin to the Hyundai Accent.

You guys are a lot of help. I came to the right place. Thank you

Yes, you are correct!

Even with a manual transmission? The joke is that it’s supposed to be an anti theft device now!

Fitting a custom anti theft device and not insuring it will be the smartest way to go. My anti theft device would lock out the engine 30 seconds after it was started after the first 3 second brake application, or after 2 minutes, so the thief gets stranded in the road!

Really? :smack:
In many–perhaps most–US states, you cannot legally operate a motor vehicle without at least liability coverage. Whether it is the same in Belgium, where the OP apparently resides, I can’t say–but neither can you.

Where do you get your never ending supply of nonsense ? If the vehicle is financed it has to have full coverage insurance . Even if bought for cash why would anyone not have full coverage insurance on anything worth more than 5000.00 .

1 Like

Unless this is a Certified Pre-Owned vehicle being sold by a Kia dealer, the 10-year powertrain warranty does not carry over to you as the second (or subsequent) owner. The basic warranty is only 5 years/36,000 miles, so barely anything is remaining.

Depending on who is selling this, and for how much, it might be a good deal, or it might be a major rip-off. If this is private party from the original owner/their estate, and the price is reasonable, this could be a good option. If it’s at a dealer, or worse a curbstoner/car flipper is selling it, forget about it.