2018 Chrysler Pacifica - Stalls

I have a 2018 Chrysler Pacifica with 40,000 miles on it. I have a dangerous situation which Chrysler cannot solve. Twice when I changed lanes, the engine quit. After hitting the accelerator pedal a few times, it started up again without pushing the ignition switch. Luckily, the truck driver behind me last time was able to do some fancy maneuvering and avoided hitting me. I don’t blame him for blowing his horn and being upset since my minivan slowed down so much after I changed lanes. It has also happened after I made some right turns. It is an intermittent problem with 400 to 1,000 miles between incidents. I brought it to a dealership, who did a diagnostic on it and found no problem. I talked to two other dealerships who said that the vehicle would have to stall for them before they could diagnose the problem. A call to Chrysler revealed that they had not heard of that happening to anyone else, and they could not suggest anything to try. For now, I am turning off the feature where the engine shuts off at stops. I do not know if it is related to that, but feel that what I lose in fuel economy might save my life. Any suggestions? Mary Lou

Keep hitting the stop-start button to off when you drive it. That will be important info to know if the problem repeats.

Also, research your state’s lemon laws. If the manufacturer cannot fix the car in the warranty period after repeated attempts, they may have to buy your car back.

I suggest you report this NHTSA. Here is the link at which you can do so. Help you fellow owners stay safe.

1 Like

General question

Do these cars with this “Start/Stop” feature need to be at a complete stop before the engine shuts off ?

+1
There is a time limit–which varies from one state to another–so the OP really needs to check the details of his particular state’s Lemon Law immediately. While Lemon Law buy-backs are limited to certain types of problems, safety issues (which this surely is) and problems that affect the vehicle’s “driveability” are always covered.

As long as the OP’s vehicle isn’t “too old” according to his state’s Lemon Law, then he should be able to prevail with that type of complaint–as long as he initiates the process promptly.

1 Like