2017 Nissan Altima - Avoid?

Looking to buy a 2017 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL, 42000 miles. I keep hearing opposing opinions on this car/brand. Should I avoid this brand, or is the car worth the money?

This car is equipped with a Continuously Variable Transmission that has a poor reputation. Partially, I suspect, is because people don’t maintain them very well. They need their fluid changed every 30,000 miles (not sure what Nissan recommends - more is better). They are very expensive to repair. The car you are considering has gone 42K, likely without a fluid change. If you buy it, change it right away and keep to that 30K interval.

Is it worth the money?? The market has priced the problematic transmission already so it is likely lower priced than similar cars, so yes. If you don’t intend on keeping it for more than 4-5 years, you are likely OK. But look into buying a FACTORY extended warranty - not a private brand warranty but from Nissan itself. If you are one who keeps cars for long periods, I’d pass.

Many folks consider that maintaining a car means keeping up with the manufacturer’s recommended service intervals.

I have serious doubts that the manufacturer has a 30,000 mile service interval on it’s transmission fluid, it is likely quite a few thousand more than that.

I’ve never owned an Altima, but I drove rented one on a long trip once. It was a very nice riding car and very comfortable for my 6’-6" frame with nice legroom.

It has a much better than average overall reliability rating from Consumer Reports.