2017 Kia Sorento - oil consumption question

I have a 2017 Kia Sorento with 77,000 miles and I get the oil changed and service done on time at the Kia dealer but I noticed on the notes on the service notes last time that there was no oil on dip stick. So I started checking the oil level weekly and it has used 2 quarts of oil in 4,000 miles
why is this

I think a 2017 should not use 1 qt per 2k miles.

Consider yourself lucky . Most of the time the oil change person does not check the oil level before the work . They just put the barrel under the drain and do something else whils it is draining and never know how much came out. It seems you have damaged your engine by not checking the oil level in the past . You can drive it and keep the oil level where it should be . You can talk to Kia but I doubt that will do anything since it has been documented that you let the oil level get so low.

3 Likes

Just a guess, suspect Kia would consider 1 quart per 2000 miles acceptable oil consumption.

2 Likes

It’s called normal wear and tear. All internal combustion engines consume some oil over time. You accelerated the normal wear but you got lucky and learned a valuable lesson. Contrary to what another poster has said, it’s unlikely you’ve damaged anything. If you had, you’d be using a lot more oil than 2 quarts in 4,000 miles. 2 quarts in 4k is nothing to worry about IMHO. And Kia considers a quart in 1,000 miles acceptable anyway. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10189272-0001.pdf As long as you don’t let the oil get low again you’ll be fine. No oil on the dipstick is not the same as no oil. Your Sorrento holds 5.1-6 quarts, depending on which engine. When you let the oil level get low, the remaining oil has to work harder. That’s one reason it’s important to check it periodically.

2 Likes

+1 to everything @davepsinbox_157004 posted!

Every engine uses oil… more as they gain miles. One quart every 2000 miles is not excessive…

Check your oil regularly between changes and add as needed to keep it between the marks!!

1 Like

One qt per 2000 miles is inconvenient, but not a fault.
My car uses no noticeable amount of oil, yet I check the oil every 1000 miles.
Easy number to track on the odometer.
1000 miles can take me anywhere from 3 days to 4 months (thanks COVID).

FWIW, the McNally Institute says oil consumption should be a quart or less between oil changes or 5,000-7,500 miles. How Long Should 5 Quarts Of Engine Oil Last? – McNally Institute Then again, the same blog post says normal oil consumption is less than 0%, which is impossible, so take it with a grain of salt.

That McNally link is “whack”, technically speaking.
This gem:
“A flashing oil light is generally not a problem for about two weeks or 500 miles of driving.”

2 Likes

Holy Engine Failure , Batman . I just looked at that McNally link . Dave , did you even read that bunch of garbage ?

1 Like

That’s all fine if you’re driving a 2018 McNally, but most of us drive a Chevy, Toyota, Audi, etc. And all that really matters is what the company that made your car says. If Toyota says it’s acceptable to use a quart every 1200 miles, then that’s it.

Yes I did. Hence the admonition to “take it with a grain of salt.” Unlike some folks, I prefer to promote discussion rather than preventing it. In this case, it appears to have worked.