2017 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport - Oil consumption

I find that this engine burns/consumes oil at a very high rate. Is this common with this vehicle? Can it be improved?

Please define “high rate”.

Get it to a dealer and document that you reported the issue while under warranty. If the rate of consumption is high enough they may replace the small block now. Or, when the engine fails later outside the warranty, you have a higher likelihood of a repair at no cost. Or, since the vehicle’s depreciation curve has flattened out, trade it in and get a new or pre-owned car that doesn’t have an engine defect. My $0.02.

My questions in these kind of matter is how often is the oil changed and how often (if ever) do you raise the hood to check the oil level OR do you simply rely on the oil level remaining the same from one change to the next?

1 Like

As NYBo says, let us know how about many miles it takes to lose a quart. Has the engine always done this or is this a new issue?

I bought the car 3 years ago with 16,800 miles on it. I have been changing the oil every 15-1800 miles due to this issue. I check the oil all the time and have been adding oil when needed. Interval between adding oil can be every 300-600 miles depending on season. I have been very diligent in monitoring this. The car has 81500 miles on it now. Just wondering how I can improve the car or rectify in some way.

The key question is… How much oil do you have to add each time?

Up to 1 quart at the high end sometimes half of that.

You are adding oil at that rate and doing oil changes at less than 2000 miles each time ? And you drive about 20000 miles a year ? I can’t see anything but a complete engine overhaul solving the problem now.

Why did you not have a Dealer look at this when the problem started ?

Frankly I would just replace this vehicle .

That consumption rate is horrendous and it’s going to cause a lot of other problems soon.

To me anyway, your only option at this point is to contact Hyundai’s regional office and (politely) ask them if they could do a Good Will warranty on the car. Good Wills are discretionary and it’s been my experience over the years that sometimes there is no logic or reason in how those are dispensed.
Praise the car, tell them you love it to death, but…

Some person abuses their car; they Good Will it. Another person babies their car to the max and they get turned down. I assume corporate at times flips a coin…

My feeling is that this car was likely a lease car and with many lease cars the leasee will not spend one dime of their own money on maintenance. It’s possible that the car never had one oil change in that first 16k miles and that is why it’s consuming oil now.

Would this situation fall under my 5 year, 100,000 mile power train warrantee?

1 Like

That is a question for your local dealer .

If I take it to the dealer will they work with Hyundai Regional office on such an issue? It was a lease Car I believe.

Are you kidding? This is a 3-year old SUV. Even if no warranty was available, it would be far cheaper to replace the engine when it ultimately fails than to buy a new(er) vehicle. In fact, the owner should still have coverage under the factory warranty, so this is all moot.

1 Like

Ask your Hyundai dealer to replace your engine before the 100k miles warranty ends. If they fail to do any work on it, go higher up…to Hyundai corporate.

2 Likes

The second owner only has 5 year 60000 miles warranty on the drive line . But the dealer might have a solution or even a program to help with this problem . At this point it can’t hurt to find out .

Thank you all, I appreciate your feedback! I will start with the dealer this week.

Assuming no help from Hyundai, I would just keep driving the vehicle, and keep adding oil as needed. I would not pay to replace the engine at this time.
Eventually, the catalytic converters will fail due to high oil consumption. As long as you don’t live in CA or NY, you can have those replaced with lower-cost aftermarket units every few years to get the vehicle through emissions testing. (If you live in a state with no emissions testing, you can just ignore the resulting check engine light, and do nothing unless they plug up.)

If and when the engine completely fails, or develops a misfire that becomes too annoying then you can re-evaluate. Depending on the age, mileage, and overall condition, it might make sense to have a remanufactured engine installed at that time.

Understood, that was what I was thinking. The engine still runs pretty well. Hopefully I can get this knocked out with the manufacturer, otherwise I will keep babying the car and playing it by ear on an as needed basis.

The engine warranty has been extended to 10 years/120,000 miles for original and subsequent owners.

The warranty extension was in response to the the crankshaft and engine bearing failures, there may be some argument from the dealer as to whether oil consumption issues apply.

4 Likes