2017 Audi A4 - AC not cold (not the refrigerant)

For 3 or 4 months, my A/C system has not been blowing cold air. The air is cool but not as cold as it once was. I just had it serviced and asked the mechanic to check the A/C system. He said that the freon was full. What else could it be?

Blend door not closing all the way…
A mechanic that doesn’t know what he/she is doing…
A malfunctioning HVAC head unit…
Electrical issue…
A weak compressor…
A number of different things could be wrong…

The only way to truly know exactly how much freon is in the system is to evacuate the freon and measure it… Unless adding to an empty system…

But you also really need to know what the head pressure and the low side pressures are…

Sound like you need to find a real AC mechanic and maybe even a Euro shop that know Audis…

4 Likes

You asked the mechanic to check the A/C system, and all you were told is that it had enough refrigerant? If they actually checked that, then they should be able to tell you something about what might be going on.

1 Like

+1
I recommend that the OP take his car to a shop that does ONLY A/C work. (Some of those shops also specialize in radiator/cooling system issues) I think that the OP would be better-off with a shop that really knows the ins and outs of A/C.

1 Like

If the lack of cooling is on both the driver side and the passenger side, then there may be a problem with the expansion valve.

Tester

1 Like

Find someone who can actually diagnosis the system.

My 2014 A4 had its compressor go bad at only 45K miles. It has always lived in Florida but yeah, could be a bad compressor.

2 Likes

Hi everyone, thank you for your helpful emails. I scheduled an appointment in my community with a repair shop that specializes in auto a/c systems and european autos.

Tim

4 Likes

Did you pay a diagnostic fee?

It is a common customer request during routine service (oil change) to “check the A/C”. 99% of the time there is nothing wrong with the air conditioning system, it is just the customer being cautious during the summer.

The refrigerant level is probably low, plan to leave the vehicle at the shop long enough for a proper assessment and repair.

Thank you.

1 Like

No. Thank you for your email.

We are all seeing everything you are posting on a forum, you can also, it might be easier to read everything and when answering… but you are welcome to keep emailing also, but your emails come to the open forum…