2016 Hyundai Tucson - Premature engine failure! My options?

2016 Tucson Limited 1.6 Turbo w/71000 miles. Internal engine failure, no compression cyl 2. Car well maintained and in excellent shape. Cost to replace the engine $14000! and Hyundai denied any help to repair.

1 Like

That is terrible! We assume you are not the original owner. Because if you were, the 10-year, 100K mile warranty would certainly apply. Assuming it was maintained properly.

1 Like

This has become so common with Hyundai and Kia cars it is surprising if people DON’T have a problem. Sorry about your situation.

2 Likes

Some mechanic (maybe former mechanic) at a Kia dealership posted a video on YouTube showing all the engines they either were replacing or had replaced. Well over 20.

1 Like

Nobody here can detail any options for you unless you provide more substantive details. Why specific reason did they give for denying warranty? Is it because you are not the original owner or did they cite some other issue like run low on oil? Did they indicate what failed or just issue this summary judgement after a brief inspection? What is your idea of well-maintained?

$14k is an astronomical amount of money for a new engine. I almost think this is the “go away” estimate, we don’t want the work.

If indeed you need a replacement engine and there is no recourse for warranty or goodwill help in covering the costs, you don’t need a brand new engine. You could have a used engine installed for a fraction of that cost. You just need a repair place that is diligent in finding the best condition used engine they can find and standing behind their work in R&R the engine.

3 Likes

The dealer just replaced the engine in the daughters 2017 Tucson with 120,000 miles for free.

They even gave her loaner to use for free.

Have them refer to this TSB.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2022/MC-10210206-0001.pdf.

Tester

2 Likes

A friends neice just had her Kia’s engine fail at 108K miles. She was the original owner so it is 8K out of warranty. Kia denied warranty and gave her a $10K estimate for replacement. Not sure the car is worth $10K at this point because of the engine problems. Kia and Hyundai are connected manufacturers and both have this issue.

Having owned several new Hyundais, still running well over 100K miles including one that required an engine replacement at 60,000 miles (2.4 engine recall, no cost, no hassle, free loaner), I’m also assuming that this was bought used and/or not maintained.

If so, while the OP has my sympathy, I’m seeing this as an illustration of the risk of buying a used no warranty vehicle and the value of the manfacturer’s warranty than the manufacturer’s problem.

Some warranty coverage extends to secondary owners… especially if there is a known problem that the carmaker is addressing through a special campaign.

Don’t give up. And keep in mind “Hyundai” is not the same as “someone at the Hyundai dealer’s repair department.”

2 Likes

+1
If I was in the OP’s situation, I would contact Hyundai at the corporate level, with both a phone call and a certified letter. Remember to keep it civil, and DO NOT state that you would never buy another Hyundai. Instead, express your intense disappointment with a vehicle that you love, and try to appeal to their better instincts in order for them to come to your assistance with the repair costs.

1 Like

No, not really. Demand goes up and so do prices. Couple of years ago we had a Hyundai with a failed engine at 64,000 miles. 4,000 miles out of warranty. New engines were backordered at that time but if available the price was just about that. Best we could do at the time to get the car back on the road was install a used one and our wholesale cost for that engine was about $6K. Price to the customer for the complete job was close to $10K.

They are close though. The dealer service department is the interface to the manufacturer and provides warranty service per Hyundai/Kia policy. Certainly their hands are tied and going directly to Hyundai is reasonable.

This engine still runs, just has a blinking check engine light and misfire codes? No knocking or other major problems besides no compression on one cylinder? This is most likely a valvetrain problem, and on a 4-cylinder this should be repairable without removing the entire engine from the car. A quote of $14k to replace the engine is beyond absurd. If that was my only option, I’d take the $14k and buy a different vehicle…and sell the Hyundai on Craigslist as a “mechanic’s special”.

$14k fee for dealer to install new engine doesn’t seem out of line. OP can probably get a somewhat better price using an inde shop. Even more savings possible by replacing w/used engine from wrecked Tucson.

When you say car has been “well maintained”, how many miles between oil and filter changes? Did engine ever overheat or engine oil got more than 1 quart low? Once you get the replacement engine, consider having the oil & filter replacement job done more frequently, no harm, only helps, if done more frequently than the manufacturer recommends.

Used engines for this vehicle range between $4,000 and $6,000 plus markup, labor, parts and fluids. About $10,000 should cover the job.

Tester, the link doesn’t work

Rudy

Adding on to the responses, an appeal to Corporate is always a good idea but the WORST things to say are, “I’ll never buy a XXX again”, “Your dealer is an XXX” or “This car is a piece of junk”.
Corporate’s goal is to sell more vehicles and support their dealers, especially their more profitable repair/maintenance operations so obviously the above comments aren’t a good starting point.

Instead the optimal phrase is “Can you help me?”, starting with the Dealer’s Service Manager and if not satisfied, requesting a review by the corporate Regional Service Manager which will often result in a compromise offer, of which future sales of vehicles and service become a significant factor. i.e. Did you buy your present or past vehicles from this dealer and/or have you done your service work at this dealer?

Good luck

2 Likes

+1
One of the few–yet strange–problems that I had with my '86 Taurus was the simultaneous snapping of the plastic moldings over both the driver’s window and the front passenger window on an extremely cold morning when I hit a bump. This took place more than a year after the bumper-to-bumper warranty expired, so I phoned Ford Customer Service to ask for assistance. The regional service supervisor agreed to pay for the labor cost to replace the moldings if I paid the cost for the parts. It wasn’t as good an offer as I had wanted, but at least they did come to my assistance.

1 Like

The Technical Service Bulletin from Hyundai describes engine noise and fault codes that are traced to crankshaft bearing issues and direct the technician to replace the engine and perform a software update to the engine controller.

However the Bulletin does not apply to the 2016 Tucson with the 1.6 engine. So it’s of no help to you.

1 Like

Majorangry- what did you end up doing in your case? I’m going through the exact same thing right now. 2nd owner, just hit 60k and the engine is failing. Hyundai says they are not obligated to replace but may do it as a goodwill gesture, only first I need to pay them nearly $500 for a diagnosis. I don’t know what to do :disappointed: