2016 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport - Extended Warranty

Kashfiya , Brian just bought a used 2016 vehicle . No lease involved . The Santa Fe is not a Jeep type vehicle and yes it will handle highway driving . Also your post is alittle hard to understand just what your concerns are.

1 Like

Hi,

My post was that I am not sure if I should buy an extended warranty from a non-Hyundai dealer

The vehicle I just purchased is NOT on a lease. Sorry I havenā€™t heard anything about a ā€œruggedā€ environment or ā€œhighwayā€ regarding the Santa Fe Sport

Thank you George for your insightful information. Consumer Reports give it an above average rating in their April 2019 issue. However, one other person that answered me gave a link to some serious engine problems with Kia, Hyundai Sonata, and Santa Feā€™s. There have been over 500,000 recalls in total of those vehicles and numerous law suites in the USA due to engine problems. Improper machining of the Theta II engine caused metal debris to interfere with oil flow through connecting rod bearings and damage the connecting rods. The vehicle starts to vibrate, the engine heats up, and the vehicle stops.

Yesterday before I learned all this, I went to Hyundai to see if there were any recalls. The Service person said that all recalls had been looked after, but I was entitled to a free software upgrade. When I asked her what the upgrade was for, she said it had something to do with ā€œthe bearingsā€. Apparently the software uses the existing sensors to detect any vibration in the engine. If it does ,the dash light blinks (maybe ā€œCheck Engineā€) and a sound is emitted. This is to alert the driver/owner to take the vehicle to a Hyundai dealership right away before there is damage to the engine. I have a call into the Service Manager at a Hyundai dealership near my home to get some answers. I also read that Hyundai USA have extended their warranty form 5 to 10 years, or 60,000 miles to 100,000 miles. Here in Canada it should be 10 years also, and 160,000 kilometers

In light of this problem, maybe the extended warranty company wonā€™t even sell me an extended plan. Also, if the Hyundai Service Manager confirms the Hyundai warranty extension, then I wonā€™t need the extended warranty.

Brian

Thank you so much for the info you sent me along with the links. I have a call into the Service Manager at my local Hyundai dealership to get some answers

Thanks again

Brian

Kitchener, Ontario

Canada

The software update has been causing false alarms that puts engines into limp mode. The remedy is to install an overlay wiring harness to the knock sensor, that harness seems to be on back order.

I would wait until they have solved the problems with the software update before having it performed.

See this thread;

1 Like

Iā€™ve also heard of that problem affecting some Kiaā€™s and Hyundaiā€™s. I believe thereā€™s also an engine fire problem been reported recently for the direct injection version of that engine, possibly due to a problem that occurs during engine replacement to address the first problem. Given the warranty extension ā€“ make sure it applies to used cars ā€“ and that thereā€™s a good chance this problem wonā€™t affect your particular car anyway, might still be worth a go. CR gave it good reliability ratings after all. I guess if I were in the market for that car Iā€™d ask my shop to do a pre-purchase inspection and as part of that drain and sieve the oil looking for metal debris in the oil that comes out. If nothing significant found, Iā€™d probably take a chance if the price was right.

Comments here about Hyundaiā€™s in general seem to be that they are good cars and for the first ten years are competitive for reliability w/most other cars, but after the ten year mark they donā€™t seem to hold up quite as well as Honda, Toyota, Mazda. I keep my cars on the road for 20+ years, so I myself wouldnā€™t be buying one.

Hi George

Thank you for your tips. Yes, I also read about Kiaā€™s with the same problem. They both use the Theta II engine made by Hyundai in Alabama with ā€œGasoline Direct Injection (GDI)ā€. I took the vehicle to my garage and he did a thorough inspection and all it needed was rear brake pads and rotars (discs). The non-Hyundai dealer where I bought it last week changed the oil and put 5W20 Synthetic oil in it. However, I like your idea of having my garage drain and sieve the oil and check for metal debrisā€¦smart idea. This will be a good test to see if any filings are present in the oil and a sure sign that a future problem will occur.

Thanks again George. Your comments were noted

Have a nice day

Brian

Kitchener, Ontario

Canada