2016 GMC Canyon - trouble after jump start

Battery discharged on my vehicle and once it was jumped the radio won’t come on, the door dinger doesn’t ding, the blinker works but you don’t hear it in the cab. I have checked fuses all are fine, battery is good. Have unhooked batter and ground and still nothing! PLEASE help! The astronomical hourly rate of service departments at dealerships is unaffordable for me.

My best guess from afar is that the Body Control Module (BCM) has failed.

Take a look at:

and…

A good independent mechanic’s shop should be able to correctly diagnose the problem, and to replace the BCM, if that is necessary. Just stay away from chain-run places like Midas, Meineke, Monro, Sears, Pep Boys, and–worst of all–AAMCO.

recheck the battery connections. Door ding, blinker noise, and radio all go through the radio. I had a 2010 Chevy loose all that, and when I cleaned the battery connections all was fine.

hopefully it is an easy fix.

and if your 2016 is out of warranty, then there is zero need to go tot he dealer. find a good independent shop to use.

Here’s what can happen when a battery goes dead or is disconnected on some vehicles.

It resets the Body Control Module (BCM). Like the Climate Control module, the BCM may not resume normal operation until it has undergone a special relearn procedure or is reprogrammed with a factory scan tool. This can mess up the operation of power accessories such as power windows, memory seats, power sunroof, or electronic suspension settings. Worse yet, the BCM is the “gate keeper” module on many 2003 and newer vehicles that have a CAN (Controller Area Network) system. If the BCM cannot communicate properly with all of the other modules, or it does not recognize the addresses of other modules, it can cause all kinds of problems.

Tester

There is a service bulletin to address the inoperative radio, a software update might correct the problem;

1 Like

This problem may have occurred as a result of the jump start. Jump cables connected to another car’s battery can cause a power spike that can damage the electronics in your car, like the body control module. The spike might also damage the radio unit. A lot of functions are contained in the same electronic module the radio is in. You need a shop versed in auto electronics to sort this out.

Does the radio turn on? Any message on its display? You may need to just enter the security code.

1 Like

Is there any chance that the cables were connected with the wrong polarity at first? That can cause damage to the electronics.

1 Like