2016 Ford Escape - Shifter question

Floor gear shift selector had light out on a 2016 Ford Escape, I bought in daylight at Nissan of Jefferson City, Mo. Finaly, whilr going through a car wash, noticed the gear selector light was out. Nothing listed in manual for bulbs or replacing, so I took it out and found the light is a very unique, rectangular piece of plastic fed power by two tiny wires… which a local Ford dealer informed me must be part of the total gear housing because it was NOT a listed part… could not find it in any Ford parts list.

Welcome to the forum…

Not sure if you are just complaining about it or asking a question…

I am assuming that the wires are hard mounted to the bulb and the bulb is not in a connector…
Did you take a picture of the bulb??
DO the wires have a plug so the bulb can be removed??

Might just go to your local salvage yard and get one…

2 Likes

I got soooo frustrated trying to solve the problem through the Nisson /Ford Dealer that I purchased the 2016 Ford Escape from in Jefferson City, Mo that I gave up on them. I then went to Machens Ford here in Columbia, Mo Parts Dept. after removing and taking the part with me. It was found to be part of a larger unit consisting of the complete shifter housing unit and unavailable BY ITSELF. I contacted the 800 number from the Ford Manual for the Customer Relations Dept. of FORD, and again, was informed that the light itself is a part of the complete gear shifting device and NOT AVAILABLE as a separate component, although it simply is a plug- in part to the larger gear shifting compont.

No help available. Shoppers beware……Do Not buy a Ford product EVER! And DO NOT

Shop at either Jefferson City, Mo. Nisson or Joe Machens Ford in Columbia, Mo.

68A254F023CA45F2B937D332B64FEAA1.png

I cant think of any reason that I’d ever go to Missouri!

Yep, it happens. Some parts aren’t economically feasible to be offered by themselves. Sometimes the aftermarket will come through, if the issue is widespread enough.

So they just confirmed the same thing as the dealership? Were you expecting a different answer?

You got a potential solution, just not one you liked.

I’ve had pretty good luck with them so far.

Again, I don’t see where they did anything wrong, you bought a 7-8 year old used car. It apparently had a small failure that doesn’t affect the way the vehicle drives. Something like that isn’t going to covered under any powertrain warranty. Both dealership and corporate told you the same thing, and it’s an uncommon occurrence for any make, not every single part is going to be available by itself every time. Spend the money to replace the entire shifter if it bothers you that much. The part doesn’t seem all that expensive, the assembly runs about $170-ish and the plate where the lights are is about $80.

3 Likes

Looks like you need a shift plate bezel, $107. Not a big deal.

Manufactures moved away from replaceable bulbs in displays a couple of decades ago, most indicator lights are LED. Blame the car dealers?

1 Like

All things considered, $107 is pretty cheap

Well it could be either led or even fluorescent. Just do as Nevada or db say.

My 86 park avenue had opera lights on the side. After a couple years they burned out. At the time the replacement cost was substantial. I ended up taking them apart and with the help of some surplus parts just wired them for standard bulb. Worked fine, just the bright white was changed to a soft white instead. You can monkey around with trying to rewire it but for $107 just not worth the effort. Don’t be surprised if the new one doesn’t last any longer than the old one though.

gotta ask:

did you try it with the headlights on? Not just the daytime running lights, but the headlights all the way on?
and, when you had it apart, did you verify the wiring had power and ground?

did you try any other troubleshooting?

1 Like

Missouri, the show-me state.

As far as OP’s problem, if the light bulb problem can be fixed for less than $200, not much to worry about, that’s pretty frugal by today’s repair cost standards.

Oh oh, another story … A few years ago I needed a 194-style light bulb, parts store wanted $5 for one. Too much! I made a deal at the Nissan Dealership parts dept , 10 bulbs for $10. And I don’t own any Nissans … lol …

The counter man made a mistake, those bulbs are $10 each, not $10 for the whole package. Bulbs and fuses are shipped in bulk form and need to be broken down for individual pricing.

Why are you blaming the dealerships for something Ford has not made available?

Wait until you get the price for the body control module you have to replace because you turn signals don’t work instead of just replacing a $3 flasher.

If I could not drive and shift my car without looking down at my shift console,I would give up driving.

3 Likes

For a 194/168 style bulb??? I used to pay (2 years ago) under $5.00 for a box of 10 194 or 168 bulbs at Napa and CQ wholesale… And a blister pack of 2 is only $3.99 for 194 bulbs and even less for the 168 bulbs at ACE Hardware right now…

1 Like

Funny, how many manual (stick shift) cars have lights?? None that I can think of… lol… And my DD is a stick, and have had many…

Hell my racket shifter in all forward gears is in the same location and it is a full manual valve body, so you have to shift for ever gear… Just have to know what gear you are in…

+1
I’m fascinated by the people who have been driving the same vehicle for many years, but still seem to need to look at the shift quadrant in order to change gears.

1 Like

George bought the bulbs at the retail counter of a Nissan car dealer, their cost is more than $1.00 each.

1 Like

True enough. The staff guy at the Nissan dealership parts dept at first was going to charge me more than $1 each, not $10 each though, maybe $2.50 each. But when I told him I wanted 10 bulbs and asked if a discount was available, he decided he’d give me a price cut if I purchased an entire package of 10 bulbs. Standard Philips 194 bulbs are available for 16 cents each online, $1.60 for a package of 10. I prefer to buy local though.

1 Like

Yeah I tend to overstock. I’ve still got a bunch of those miscellaneous bulbs and fuses. Haven’t used one in over ten years.