2016 Ford Edge 2.0 eco wont re-start after driving for a few hours

2016 ford edge with 2.0 ecoboost, 118k . Hot start issues. First start of the day, starts and runs fine, zero issues. After driving for 2 hours or so and stopping, car will not restart. Sometimes it starts briefly, but will sputter and die. It will crank over ok, just wont fire up. Let it sit for approx an hour, and it restarts and drives as normal. I have replaced the HPFP and evap canister purge valve assembly. Im assuming it is some kind of heat issue related to the fuel system, as the cool down period seems to cure it. Also, no CEL. Any ideas?

The first suspect is likely the crankshaft position sensor. It’s easy to change and not expensive.

Would the crank position sensor failing intermittently be temperature related? It seems that as the engine cools down, everything returns to functioning as it should. When the engine is cold and first started also.

Is this a 2018 Edge, as stated in the title of the thread, or is it a 2016 Edge, as stated in the body of your post?

Remove the fuel supply manifold insulator. (colored yellow)

And carry a bottle of water in the vehicle.

The next time you go to restart the hot engine, open the hood and pour the bottle of water over the fuel supply manifold. (colored blue)

If the engine starts right up, the problem is vapor lock.

Tester

1. Title fixed now. Ty

Some kind of vapor lock was my original thought, but isn’t that limited to carbed engines. Also, what would cause that, at this point in the engines life?

http://eva2.homeip.net/eva2/FU01/ch5.5.3.html

Tester

If it is vapor lock, it’s likely caused by a weak fuel pump. Especially at this time of year.

Vapor lock on a fuel injected engine is caused by a faulty anti drain-back valve.

Tester

Makes sense.

I just replaced the high pressure fuel pump. The condition still exists. Would the fuel rail pressure sensor be affected by heat?

See @Tester above - have the anti drain back valve checked, I’d also check for a leaking fuel injector.