2016 Chevrolet 1500 - Clutch codes - Any help?

Just purchased a 2016 Chevy Silvarado 1500 4x4 with max tow package and max trailer package, which almost makes it a 3/4 ton pickup, 68k miles Absolutely one of the nicest trucks I have ever owned, also my first 4x4; which is why I was even looking for one again. Drove home, no problems took my wife and kids out Sunday afternoon, no problems. Hitch my trailer up and go to work Monday, halfway to job site CEL comes on; well having a scan tool on hand in my Pickup I get codes P0741 and P0700 Torque Clutch and Transmission Control Module failure, respectively. Cleared them, light and same codes came back on before I made it home. Had to tow my trailer down the interstate, would not shift up past 3rd or 4th gear at 70, barely got 5th and 65. Dropped my trailer got everybody working, and took to the dealership I purchased from, In and out within an hour cleared the code (I already did that.) ā€œlow battery voltage triggered the code.ā€ (What the hell is this?). On way home triggers again. Same shifty problems. Might need to get my wiggle wagon 2012 Ford F150 back with 126k miles that isnā€™t 4x4 Iā€™d rather be stuck in job site mud and ice than deal with repairs constantly. Will see how this concludes, would be nice Had I Known about something problematic in GM besides the AFM turd. Would GM has lost all capacity to make a bicycle and should return the sewing Machines.

I am not a mechanic but a few things come to mind. First, since your truck is presumably out of warranty take it to a reputable independent shop. Second, if there were a low voltage condition it seems like that ought to be fairly easy to test. Third, you may (in fact, Iā€™d guess probably) need the services of a good independent transmission shop. 68k is a good time to have the fluid changed anyway, if you havenā€™t done it lately.

2 Likes

my only disagreement with what @davepsinbox_157004 said is that depending on how recently you purchased this vehicle, the dealership you purchased from may have offered 30 or 90 warranty on it. Verify that before going anywhere else.

over the years, I have had tons of battery cable issues with my Chevy trucks and vans, and more specifically- keeping them tight. Verify the battery cables are clean, tight, and not corroded and gross. Odd/Low voltage can send lots of things screwy.

1 Like

Have the battery check for capacity. I assume the dealer did that but maybe you should have an auto parts store do thatā€¦ for freeā€¦ and see if it is a simple case of needing a new battery before you condemn the entire truck

If you know how to use a DVM, connect it up to the battery before the first start of the day. It should measure about 12.6 volts. Then immediately after starting the engine, 13.5 - 15.5 volts. What do you measure?

I should clarify a few details; It is under warranty. Otherwise I more then likely would be doing ALL repairs/diagnostics (or flat taking it back)ā€¦ Will see what ultimately was the problem hopefully accurately. It is again back at the dealership. Get to roast the tires off a loaner for them.

In this case, The ā€˜mechanicā€™ should have tested and proven it, rather then citing some chocked up garbage. Youā€™ll have to forgive my rhetoric that you called condemning. This whole or deal has been aggravating me.

I do, I also have a few load racks. However this particular deal should have been done by the ā€˜mechanicā€™. Rather then just clearing the codes and citing it without any factual information to work on. At this point its back with them; supposedly getting transferred to one of they GM sister dealerships.

The torque converter clutch is slipping, the torque converter may need to be replaced.

The selling dealer doesnā€™t perform transmission repairs?

Is a Toyota dealership. Iā€™d think it wise that they involve a GM tech.

A Toyota dealer generally wonā€™t try to do any more than erase the fault codes, no reason for a Toyota used car technician to attempt to repair a transmission.

Itā€™s been my experience that torque converter problems are not unusual in these transmissions. You can try to replace the transmission fluid, being sure to use the correct fluid for your transmission. But if that helps itā€™s usually just a temporary fix, and in the long run torque converter replacement is needed.