2015 Volvo V60 - 1 quart every 1,000 miles

Using a quart of oil per 1000 miles

1 quart in 1,000 miles is a bit much but we really need to know more about your vehicle. For example, how many miles are on it? In the meantime, as long as you keep an eye on it and don’t let it get lower than -1 quart you’ll be fine.

1 Like

It has 115,000 miles.

Have the crankcase evap system, including the PCV valve checked by your mechanic. I’d also suggest a compression test while you are at it. One or the other will tell you if this continues or is easily fixed.

The Volvo dealership mechanic said that the oil loss coming from blow by piston rings. He said they “need to tear down engine to inspect piston rings and damage”
Is this reasonable or is it a factory issue?
Thank you.

Add a can of this to the engine oil.

https://www.restoreusa.com/index.php

If the oil consumption is drastically reduced or stops, the cylinders and piston rings are worn.

Tester

1 Like

You should have put that in your first post . Since you are out of warranty get a second opinion from an independent shop . A dealer has to do a lot more than an independent shop to solve problems.

1 Like

@LEW25:
Can you provide some history of the vehicle?

Has it burned oil at this rate for a long time, or did it suddenly happen?

Have you changed your oil as per Volvo’s recommendation?

The above suggestions from the previous replies are all good. I also wonder if the oil control rings are plugged up.

… and I hope that the OP realizes that Volvo’s recommendation includes both an odometer mileage value and an elapsed time value.

For some reason, a lot of people seem to ignore the elapsed time factor, and if the OP’s vehicle is subjected to mostly short-trip drives, going for too long w/o an oil change could lead to coked-up piston rings, and could lead to other lubrication-related issues.

All of that being said, the consumption of 1 qt of oil every 1,000 miles is really not that bad for an engine with 115k on the odometer… as long as the OP keeps an eye on it and makes sure to replenish the oil before it loses more than 1 qt. Personally, I would suggest that he replenish the oil as soon as it is down by 1/2 qt.

Dealers tend to take the mo$t expen$ive option.
You can buy a lot of oil with the cost of an engine tear-down.
I agree it’s worth it to inspect the PCV system.
One qt per 1000 miles is inconvenient, but I would just drive on.

3 Likes

Is this a vehicle you currently own, or one you’re considering purchasing?

If you own it, just keep the oil topped off.

If you’re considering buying it… keep on looking. Used Volvos can have problems that are expensive to fix. No need to buy one with known issues like this.