2015 nissan rogue rpm go up when slowing down

Hi, so when I am driving and I go to slow down my RPM’s go up anywhere from 500 to 1000 RPM’s then go back down. It does this a few times til I usually either come to a complete stop or I speed back up. It has only been doing this for a few days. My Nissan Rogue has 76,000 miles on it currently.

1 Like

Have you ever changed the transmission fluid? You should have done that 16,000 miles ago. That might be the issue.

I agree with Mustangman as for it being a transmission issue. However, I venture a guess that it is the transmission downshifting as you slow down. As the tranny goes into a lower gear, the engines RPM goes up momentarily to compensate for the lower gear. I’m not saying it’s normal, but just a symptom of other issues with the tranny. So, did you change the fluid?

Try slowing down using a fixed gear (rather than D), then slowing down in neutral. What happens to the engine rpm in those cases? Also try this: At idle, stopped, engine warm, everything unnecessary for this experiment turned off, step on the gas pedal to increase rpm to 1500.
Maintain 1500 rpm for 10 seconds. Now remove your foot from the gas pedal. What happens?

I suspect this has gone unnoticed until now. The computer will adjust the CVT to provide a small amount of engine braking while slowing. The elevated engine speed can produce a cleaner emission output.

Hi! Coming here to revive this chat. Just bought a Rogue 15 days ago and this thing came up. When stepping on the gas pedal and increasing rpm to 2000 then release the pedal (as George suggested) rpm begin to slow down and when it reaches around 1000 it revs up a little bit and then goes black to slowing down. I did this cause I noticed this issue: when reaching a street cross and breaking the car accelerates a little bit forcing me to press harder on the brake pedal which is very annoying. So I went home and did this test an realized that in N behaves the same as I explained. Do you have any idea of what it is? The car is brand new, only 100 miles. What should I do? Thank you guys!

Normally I would suggest starting a new thread so more people would see it.

The car is under warranty… if it is brand new… for quite a while so any problem you have would be repaired for free by the dealer (any Nissan dealer).

If you have never had a car with a CVT automatic, its operation will be different than a conventional automatic. It takes some getting used to.

If you think you have a problem, take it to the dealer so they can check it out.

2 Likes

If you do take it to the dealer, make sure they write it up and not just do a quick check. You want it documented in case it rears its ugly head in the future after the warranty has faded…

3 Likes

New thread was started here…