2015 Mazda CX-5

Squealing noise when in reverse, mainly noise coming from front passenger. Any ideas what it is?

Brand new vehicle, unless you hit/damaged something (you didn’t, did you?) it doesn’t matter what it is, it’s a warranty problem. Let the dealer deal with it. And make sure you get documentation of the cause and solution just in case there are other problems later.

I didn’t hit anything, dealer said they couldn’t hear any squealing noise

Please don’t take offense at this statement, but–because the car is fully warrantied, you don’t need to provide the dealership with a diagnosis. In fact, whatever diagnosis you might provide to their service department will be ignored simply because they have to go through the mfr’s diagnostic rubric in order to figure out what the problem might be.

Even if one of us tells you that the problem lies in a particular part, if you tell the dealership to replace that part and your suggested “fix” is not successful, the warranty will not cover this part, and you will be on the hook for the repairs.

Allow the dealership to diagnose it in order to have the problem covered by warranty.
If the first attempt is not successful, go back.
If they fail to repair it in 3 attempts, you will likely be eligible for a Lemon Law claim–as long as you retain documentation of the 3 repair attempts for the same problem.

Thank you for your information.

Additionally, if the dealership continues to “not hear” the noise, then you can kick things up to the next level by requesting an inspection by Mazda’s Regional Service Supervisor. I can tell you from personal experience that these folks can frequently…motivate…dealerships into being more conscientious about repairs.

Contact info for the manufacturer is in your Owner’s Manual, and I would suggest phoning them if repair attempt #2 is unsuccessful.

If you have a phone that records…my Windows phone does…then get that noise recorded for as long as you can. It will help the next time you confront the dealership about the problem.

You can also aid your case by recording the noise with a cell phone. Have a friend record the noises while you are driving. Since you are driving, it will be too much of a distraction to do it yourself. If you do it yourself, find an open parking lot and drive in reverse where you can’t hit anything. Then take the car back and play the noise recording for the dealer.