2015 Chrysler 200 - Tough drain plug

Well I just came home from work and I gave it another go. Same it won’t budge no matter what. I used a 1/2 and its snug on even when the burst it didn’t slip off. But it’s not moving at all. Guess I can go get me a bar breaker. I’m not giving up on this DIY job.

Where would someone get a 5 point socket ?

1 Like

Good for you. I’m stubborn like that too. But just remember, if the worst case scenario happens, you may have to buy some extra tools to repair. Not too bad though. At least you’ll have the job under your own belt. When my new son in law asked me if he could marry my daughter, I told him he would have to support and take care of her in every way. This includes keeping her car safe and well maintained. He is an extremely talented young man, but not in the mechanical area. On the first oil change for his car I let him do it in my garage while I walked him through it. All went well. He lives an hour or so away when he tried it solo. I got a call because he couldn’t get the drain plug out. It came out fine when he finally started turning it the correct direction. After a few phone calls and six hours later he finally got the filter off. From then on he takes it in for all of his oil changes and helps me do maintenance and repair when needed. That’s okay, he’s still doing what he’s supposed to. Good to see you are going to stick to it. In the long run you’ll save a lot of money and learn a whole lot.

I think it’s metric :laughing:

And it is not very good either .

2 Likes

I also suspect that someone in the past used a standard wrench or socket on a metric plug. Many assume that 13MM/ 1/2, 14MM/9/16, 17MM/11/16 are close enough to work. Sometimes one gets lucky but it’s not worth the risk.

At this point I would have used a pipe wrench with a cheater bar.

Subaru is the world’s worst for frozen drain plugs and most of the time it’s because someone omitted the drain plug gasket. Hard to tell from the pic but it doesn’t appear to have a gasket.

1 Like

Try some PowerBlaster and letting it sink in for a while. Hard to believe it could have been put on so tightly that it won’t come off, but it does sound like it was cross threaded.
If you are going to be using a cheater bar, please use proper jack stands, and make sure the car is secure. Do not just use the car jack. You may wind up having to replace the entire pan.

1 Like

Am I able to upload videos on here? If so it would be easier to show what I’m saying and stuff.

I don’t think so, but you can upload to youtube and then link. :slight_smile:

I just bought me a breaker bar 1/2 but had a hard time finding sockets to fit it. The ones I bought from Walmart was too small to fit the drive. But I think I found some at auto zone. will be home soon and see if this get the stubborn drain plug off. Let y’all know how it goes.

1 Like

I finally got the job done. Made a mess pouring the old oil into container but all went well thanks everyone.

1 Like

I had screwdrivers from Walmart, they were ultra steel or hyper tough brand. Total garbage, threw them in the trash. Get some harbor freight sockets and wrenches. They’re inexpensive but I never have problems with them.

1 Like

Well glad it is finally done so now you can put in a new drain plug and have the proper sized socket. Try your local farm store or even HD or Menards or Ace Hardware. I hope you were turning the thing the right way. I’ve been fixing stuff for close to 60 years and just yesterday working on something underneath got confused with righty tighty, lefty loosey. That’s why I like to use a ratchet and can set it for the right direction before crawling underneath.

Yes, and don’t forget the plug gasket.

Congratulations. Next time will be much easier.