2015 Chevrolet 2500 - DEF level issue

info center showing def low and will be restricted to 65 mph , def tank is ful

I’ve seen chatter about this issue on the Facebook Silverado clubs. I’d start there and ask around.

Maybe a bad DEF level sensor?

https://dirtyhookerdiesel.com/i-24076552-gm-20760381-def-level-sensor-temperature-module-lml-cruze.html

Tester

1 Like

2015- I believe this will still be under warranty, unless you have put a ton of miles on them. The emissions system should be 8 years, and whatever miles (sorry, I’m not sure off the top of my head.) Look in your owners manual to be sure on that.

I had this with a 2014 Chevy, and was able to use my OTC Genesys scan tool to force a reset on the level sensor, and it has been fine since. Somehow, it just didn’t ‘catch’ when the level was refilled.

A good shop with the right diagnostic equipment should be able to do this- but I’m almost positive that this cannot be done with a basic scan tool. Mine was $4000 some years ago, plus GM software.

If the sensor is bad, I just replaced one in a 2010 Chevy. It wasn’t all that difficult, but the part was over $300.

The only emission components warranted for 8 years/80,000 miles are catalytic converters/engine control computers.

Tester

ahhh Tester, you made me go and look, lol

According to my owners manual:
If OP’s state adopted California Emissions Quality Standards, than some of the emissions system is covered for 7 years, 70,000 miles (my apologies for saying 8.)
These states include Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Washington, and California.(and possibly New York.)

This 7 year warranty does appear to cover the DEF tank, but doesn’t say anything about the Level/Quality/temp sensor.

so I’d still tell OP to check with their owners manual and dealer. (assuming that no modifications have been made to the emissions system.)

Thank you eddo

I was referring to the FEDERAL emission warranty.

Tester

cool.

Guess Chevy recognizes a broader warranty, Which is what I was referring to. Good for Chevy.

as I said, OP needs to check this out for themselves to be positive they are or aren’t covered.