2014 with 20k miles or 2015 with 35k miles

I am looking at a 2014 BMW 328d with 20,000 miles versus a 2015 BMW 328d with 35,000 miles at the same price. is it better to go one of 2014 will look some miles or is it better to go with you when 1 year newer car that have more mileage, but all the kinks have been worked out from a 1st year model car (I.e. 2014)

2014 warranty ends June 2019 vs 2015 warranty ends November 2019. No issues with either car

what options do they have? If the cars are identical except for mileage, the difference in mileage is probably not worth the premium. What condition are the cars in? How often was the oil changed?

1 Like

I had “first year on conveyor” cars twice… both times issues had been haunting them well after warranty lapsed

I would go for 2015… or different brand altogether, as BMW is not stellar neither on reliability, nor on cost to repair

1 Like

The options in both cars are exactly the same they are certified preowned and all maintenance services have been up-to-date. they both come with fully serviced and new tires, cold weather package and navigation

1 Like

The warranty has probably expired on the 2014 (because it was probably bought in 2013). As such, buying it would be a terrible idea.

If you get the 2015, sell it right after the warranty runs out. Let some other sucker deal with the inevitable repair bills. Modern BMWs are a horror show of electrical nightmares. You really don’t want to be footing the bill for that.

4 Likes

Both have paperwork showing warranty is good till 2019 since both are CPO and you get another year of warranty at unlimited mileage after the original 4 year and 50k miles ends

1 Like

In one of your other posts you were concerned about maintenance costs , in another one you wanted to lease a BMW at almost $500.00 a month. Frankly the general opinion at this forum will advise against used luxury vehicles and leasing. You just need to decide what you want to spend your money on. My feeling is that CPO only means it is ’ Certified to be a used vehicle '.

2 Likes

New tires at 20k? Is that a Luxo thing? Maybe $500 tire fee is what it takes to sell car?

1 Like

Not a luxury thing but some high speed rated performance tires are used up by 20000 miles.

The 5 month difference in warranty means that the age and mileage differences seem pretty much the same between the two.

So it might come down to cost. How long do you plan to keep the car?
If you won’t be keeping it much beyond the end of the CPO warranty, the main factor would seem to be resale value.
If you plan to keep it for a long time, BMWs are likely an expensive way to go.

1 Like

My son had a couple of BMWs. He won’t buy one again. The cost of ownership is just too high.

If your wallet and your bank account are both stuffed with cash, buy a new one.
If not, I think you’d be wise to look at cars with a much better reliability reputation and… for what you’ll pay for the BMW… buy new.

2 Likes

Thanks for all your advice…i wanted a wagon for ths space as it will be family car as well as diesel for the gas mileage over 30 aince i drive about a 100 miles a day for work…other cars that give me great gas mileage as space are the all elecric cars which are not practical for my lifestyle a d deiving route. Do you know of any other vehicle that has space as a wagon with gas mileage of 40+ on highway?

1 Like

If this vehicle purchase is also a work vehicle the last thing you need is a used BMW or even a new one .

3 Likes

If you are worried about gas mileage, then your budget could not afford the repairs/maintenance on a BMW. Buy a hybrid for that kind of mileage, a Prius V or a Kia Niro.

I am not worried about gas mileage it has been nice to have a vehicle that’s very good on gas. in the vehicles that you mention unfortunately you’re too smart to be a family car especially with a newborn baby therefore to help out my family in the way of life we need something that big and good I guess? Open to any suggestions

The Subaru Impreza 5-door with the 2L engine meets your size desires and gets 37 mpg on the highway. That’s less than a 10% difference in fuel mileage. It runs on regular gasoline and that might be less expensive than diesel fuel in your area. It is in mine.

For the price of a used Bimmer, you could buy the Impreza new, and well optioned. The BMW is a reliable car, but it is expensive to maintain and repair. Edmunds estimates that over the next 5 years, the 2014 will cost $11,700 in maintenance and $10,300 for repairs on average, with the work done at a dealership. A new Impreza will cost $5300 for maintenance and about $1000 for repairs over the same period. You can save five grand guaranteed in maintenance by buying a Subaru instead of a BMW. The maintenance costs are based on 15,000 miles per year, and you are closer to 25,000 per year. Expect maintenance to be a lot higher, making the difference between the two even more. If the Impreza is too small, look at a larger Subie wagon. The M&R costs should be similar.

4 Likes

I vote with shadowfax. Get the one with the longest warranty and bookmark your calendar for a sale the week before it ends.

1 Like

@Chenzo720 I don’t see why this is so hard for you. You have a family, drive quite a few miles for your job apparently and only know how much space you need. You should be able to claim mileage expenses . Look at the manufacture web sites and make a list of vehicles ( New ) that meet your requirements . That will give you all the specs you need . Also the Consumer Reports auto guide will help. You seem to be concentrating way too much on Miles per gallon.

2 Likes

Tesla Model S? I know you said electrics don’t suit your driving style, but then you said you drive 100 miles per day, which is just over 1/3 of a Model S’s range.

I wouldn’t ordinarily suggest that, but your requirements are pretty stringent. Wagons aren’t common, and 40mpg diesel wagons are… Pretty much BMW. Maybe Audi has one.

But I don’t see the point in saving money on buying gas when that money, and more, is going to go straight to the repair shop.

How big of a family are we talking here? Do you really need a wagon? The Honda Civic, Mazda 3, and Mazda 6 get 40+mpg highway and seat 5.

1 Like

the diesel model had a $5k premium over the gas when new but you are getting it used. dont know if the dealer has same price for a gas/diesel model? heck, maybe its less than the gas?