2014 with 20k miles or 2015 with 35k miles

the last thing you want to have in family car is standing at the side of the road and waiting for the tow truck

I had a coworker who had CPO BMW, which he foolishly kept after warranty lapsed, he was late for work and sometimes to important meetings 2-5 times a month, guaranteed, not to mention how much it costed him, even with his great DIY skill

if you insist on wanting a wagon, go for new Subaru Outback, 2.5 liter models are decent on gas mileage, but you get 9-second-ish 0-60, 3.6 model is great for the power, at expense of gas economy

in any case, you will get a great ride and solid performer for next 5 years if maintained well, cost to maintain will be an order of magnitude lower than a used/CPO BMW, resale value is very decent

2 Likes

Maybe neither one. If theyā€™re both former lease cars that saw few if any oil changes either one could be a bad deal. Iā€™d want to see some records on that particular issue before any purchase.

If they are off lease cars, the CarFax should be reasonably complete and available at no cost from the dealer. I used the CarFax reports when I was looking a used E class Benz sedans. The exercise convinced me that I wouldnā€™t buy a car from the nearest dealer to me. The CarFax reports showed that none of the cars were local and at least 2 of 7 of them had been in an accident.

1 Like

Wow, BMW really has large maintenance and repairs. But in terms of high quality, what do you think? Is it worth your expense? I think I need to calculate first before I decide to choose BMW. Thanks for your comparative here, it gives me an idea on how expensive BMWā€™s in the future.

My son had two BMWs. He traded his last one for a Scion. He was amazed at how much less expensive it was to own the BMWs. Everything was cheaper, and reliability was bulletproof.

BMWs donā€™t offer superior quality. They offer superior drivability, although the gap has pretty much closed over the past few decades.

BMWs are nice if youā€™re willing to pay the price, but you need to accept that itā€™ll cost you more to own. A lot more. Parts and maintenance will be twice that of a more humble brand purchased with an eye toward reliability.

2 Likes

I absolutely agree with mountainbike

His comments could also apply to Benz

As far as luxury cars go, I think most americans would be better served all-around by Acura and Lexus. Reliability, value retention, and obviously very nicely equipped vehicles

3 Likes

I agree, but Iā€™d add the often-overlooked Infinity to the list.
But I havenā€™t checked my powerball ticket yet. If I won Iā€™m still getting my Bentley! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

I agree that Infiniti is often overlooked

Personally, Iā€™m not that impressed with the brand, but much of that has to do with the fact Iā€™m not impressed with the parent company, Nissan

That is a valid point. But sometimes logic disappears such as in my case. I donā€™t want a Lexus even parked in my driveway but we have a Volvo and some people feel the same way about them.

1 Like

I agree that car-buying is also very much an emotional decision

Oh dear, someone else came forward with the bazillions winner in NH. Unless you are messing with us, it ainā€™t you. I have to say that when I saw the winner was in NH (and not me), I hoped it was you. A lotta good that did you, huh?

Sadly, Lexus cars arenā€™t known for anything more than reliability and a quiet ride. If you want a fun car, buy something else. Of course, if you have enough money and like marshmallows, Lexus is where itā€™s at.

I donā€™t think the mileage matters much but think Iā€™d go with the 2015. Put the extended warranty on it though. Your troubles will begin at 50,000 and every visit will be $2-3000. My son is on his second one but this time put the 100K warranty on it. Burned once and all that.

Contrary to urban legend, not all of us are looking for a ā€œfun carā€

LOL, nope, it ainā€™t me, but thanks for the thought! :rofl:

Excellent point, db.
For many years, every time I needed a new car I looked at ā€œfun carsā€, cars that I really really really really wanted. And every time I bought something highly reliable with a reputation for longevity and that met my needs.

Iā€™ve always looked for a ā€œfun carā€, but I always bought a reliable and affordable car.
Sigh.:neutral_face:

But your scion is surely more fun than a Corolla . . . ?

You said it had the larger Camry 4 cylinder, didnā€™t you?

If so, at least youā€™re having more fun driving, versus some guy in a Corolla sedan with the smaller engine, I would imagine

Well, maybe not in the winter time :snowflake: :snowman:

Thatā€™s all true and accurateā€¦
Having also had an '05 Corolla, I can testify that the tC is way funner. :grin:

The irony is that I bought the tC solely for comfort. The Corollaā€™s stiffer ride and the harder seatsā€¦ and the seating design and overall ergonomicsā€¦ were killing my back. The tC actually made the pain subside. Huge, huge difference. Totally different rides, seats, seating position, and everything that mattered.

Iā€™ve also come to love the sunroof, but when I bought the tC I couldnā€™t have cared less about it.

I donā€™t know about winter. I bought the Corolla in April and traded it in June. It was crippling me.

As far as seats and seating position go . . . I have noticed there are manufacturers that just donā€™t seem to ā€œget itā€ and itā€™s sad because some of these vehicles with the uncomfortable seats are common as dirt

Thatā€™s true. Toyota sold tons of that model of Corolla. I suppose that for those without medical issues itā€™s perfectly fine. The problem may not have been the car but rather my broken down old body. :persevere:

But the OP seems to be, and that is who the comment is directed at. Is it a problem to direct comments to the original poster?

This forum is fluid, as many regulars have mentioned over the years

I find it perfectly acceptable, that I talk to you, then I talk to OP, then I talk to Irlandes, mountainbike, Whitey, or whoever

For all we know, OP has been reading all of the comments, even the ones that arenā€™t specifically directed at him. And he might even be getting useful information from the comments that arenā€™t directed at him

2 Likes