2014 Ford C-Max Hybrid - Vibrates

My car vibrates when I step on the gas usually from a complete stop. The dealership replaced the motor mounts in February, but the car has begun vibrating again. They changed the mounts again, almost a year later because they said the rubber was defective. Now they are in conference with their engineers because they don’t know what to do. Why would it still vibrate?

Read through this discussion. See if there’s anything helpful in this discussion, particularly the final solution post.

CSA
:palm_tree: :sunglasses: :palm_tree:

1 Like

It vibrates as you accelerate from a complete stop? hmmm … Is it better or worse comparing a rapid acceleration vs a gradual one? Better/worse comparing going straight vs turning from the stop? What part of the vehicle seems to be the source of the vibrations? Wheels? Engine compartment? Steering wheel? Transmission lever? Foot pedals? Floor? Is there any sound or noises associated with the vibration? Are the dealership techs able to notice this vibration during a test drive too?

It’s worst if I accelerate slowly, it’s not as obvious if I go faster, but it still does it. Once I get moving, it stops vibrating and doesn’t seem to do it again until I stop and have to start again. Going straight, it vibrates the same as turning. Hard to tell where it’s coming from. It’s not the foot pedals. Seems like it’s the whole car vibrating. I don’t think it’s coming from the wheels or steering wheel and I don’t notice any noise/sound other than the vibration.

It does not vibrate all the time, seems to vibrate when the car is colder, when it’s been sitting for a while. It does seem to happen in low gear, during acceleration. It’s an automatic, so it’s not a clutch issue. Let me throw this wrench into the works: I don’t recall it ever vibrating like that when it’s in electric mode.

The tech did reproduce it, so it’s not just in my mind - but it sure would be cheaper! He also drove another similar CMax and said the other CMax does it too, but not as obvious as mine.

Any ideas? Thanks for responding.

Did the mechanic specifically check the harmonic balancer/crankshaft pulley and all motor mounts?
CSA
:palm_tree: :sunglasses::palm_tree:

1 Like

Double check the engine oil level and condition & (if applicable) the transmission fluid level. If both are ok, ask your shop to measure the fluid pressures, especially the engine oil pressure.

I have made note of all the suggestions and will contact the dealership mechanic to see what he thinks. Will post the outcome whenever that happens. Was planning a move half way across the country but all is on hold for now! Thanks for all your help.

Thanks! Please do. Good luck with it!
CSA
:palm_tree: :sunglasses: :palm_tree:

Contacted the dealership and they will be checking all the suggestions you folks made starting with the least invasive. Of course, they are busy and that won’t happen until Feb. 6th. They also contacted the hybrid engineers (all 2 of them) at Ford and they suggested to also check the spark plugs. The mechanic said while they are in there, they will do a tune-up which will cost me $225.00. They said it’s an ordeal to get to the plugs. Does checking the plugs sound logical and would that price be appropriate? I have a little over 50,000 miles on the car and it wouldn’t be due for it’s first tune-up until 70,000 miles. I don’t drive it too much. Could a misfiring plug be the cause? Thanks for any insight.

Update on the 2014 Ford C Max vibration problem. They checked everything and found nothing. The only thing left is to remove the transmission and check the leeway in the engine. I don’t fully understand but they said it would cost $2,000.00 to do that and if that’s what is was then I would need a new engine. So now I am shopping for another car. Preferably a Subaru. I’m done with Ford.

Thanks for all your input. Brenda

That probably refers to the amount of movement allowed between two engine parts. Some movement (or play) is necessary otherwise the engine wouldn’t be able to rotate; but too much play (or leeway) could cause clunks, thuds, and possibly vibrations, especially during accelerations.

Sorry you are having this difficulty. Suggest when looking for a replacement vehicle to choose one with a configuration that’s only as complex as you need, and not more. A conventional engine rather than a hybrid design for example would probably better suit your purposes.Be sure to consult what Consumer Reports New (or Used) Car Guide says about any potential prospects. If you decide to purchase a used vehicle rather than new, make your offer contingent upon it passing a pre-purchase inspection by your own mechanic. Best of luck.