2003 honda V6

I have a problem with vibration in steering wheel and
at speeds of 50 to 60 mph. It also vibrates at idle. This problem did not start until we had new brakes and rotors turn. We also have had tires rotated and balance. They told us we needed new motor mounts. We had them replace and the shake got worse. They replaced the front axles and the transmission mount. I also bought two new tires.

This started out when we took our car to have the tires rotated and balance. The Mechanic told us we needed new brakes, so we took it to get this done. we are now having all kinds of problems as I stated above. Took it to the Honda place here and one person told us it was not worth fixing. I do not believe this. The car has a little over a 115,000 miles on it. I have been driving a Honda since 1992. This car we bought new and I know it has been service… One person at the Honda place here said he could replace all the mounts and would not promise it would fix it. We have even had one of the new tires replace because they said it was bad. I have been to 3 different places and I am having more problems now and a few hundred dollars less. Do you have any suggestion?. We are retired and our cash flow is limited. This has been going on since Jan. To have all this done and have a problem we did not have before all this done is very upsetting. Who do you believe anymore?

There could well be two different problems with your car.

If the car is shaking at idle, the problem could be as simple as a vacuum hose that was accidently disconnected or damaged when the motor mounts were replaced.

The shake that you feel at 50-60 mph could be from any of the following:

Tires that need to be rebalanced, preferably with one of the Hunter 9700 machines that does “Road Force Balancing”
Worn components in the front end, including ball joints and tie rod ends
Defective axles (it is not unheard-of for replacement axles to have defective inner CV joints)

I suggest that you go to a different mechanic for an evaluation of the problem(s).

Since I have posted the problem with my 2003 Honda Accord I have had 2 more new tires put on and wheel replaced (they said one of the wheels was bent )The tires have been balance with the machine that balances tires on the car.It is called Road Force Balancing. We have had that done today. The vibration is still in the car. The vibration or shake is still at 40 to 75 mph now. It is better, but did not fix the problem. It still has vibration or shaking in front end it did not have until we had the new brakes,rotors turn and new mounts put on front of car. We have also had new plugs put in car. The man who did the force balancing said the problem was not in the tires or the balancing. He was also the one who put on the new tires. I am so upset. It seems we have more problems now than we did at first. Do you think it could be the 2 new mounts that were put on or could it be the rotors need to be replace? Our car has not idle right since we started having the brakes and mounts replaced? I have told them this and they tell me it would not cause this kind of problem. Please help

March 6th 2013 time of this comment

It is a longshot but I would have them check the brake wear in case a caliper is sticking.

It isn’t clear from your posts whether the suspension components were checked. It isn’t uncommon for bushings to need replacement at 115,000 miles.

First, you need another mechanic. This should be that hard to figure out. When you had teh brakes done, did they put on new rotors? If so, they could simply have gotten something between the rotor and the hub, that would cause the vibration.

Did you recently have the timing belt changed and if you did, did the vibration at idle start right after that was done? Do you have a check engine light? Have you had the spark plugs changed? How bad is the shaking at idle?

One more question, what prompted you to go to this particular garage for the tire rotation and balance in the first place?

The shaking at idle and the shaking in the steering wheel at 60 mph are probably separate problems. You may be 2 or 3 or even more separate issues you are dealing with here. But you’d think changing all the engine mounts and both drive shafts would haved made it better at least, even if it didn’t fix it completly.

I guess the next question is: What did the Honda guy give as a justification for why it wasn’t worth fixing? What does he think the problem(s) are? Since he’s seen the car, and we haven’t, let’s give him the benefit of the doubt and at least consider what exactly he has to say.

OP’er: Expound a little more on what the Honda guy said please …

The vibration started after we had the new brakes put on the car, front rotors turn and two new motor mounts. We took it back to the same person they balance tires again put in 2 axles replace transmission mount. Problem still there.
We had car align at chevy place here. Tire balance again at different place.

Took car back to guy who put the new brakes, motor mounts, axles and transmission mounts. he suggested road force balance. We had this done yesterday. We now have 4 new tires. a new wheel, road force balancing and the problem is still there except the vibrations start at 45 to 75 mph. It is still in the steering wheel at idle. It still sounds like the engine is not running as smooth as it once was. I hope this gives you an idea of what we are dealing with.

We have been to 4 or 5 places. The guy that Road force balance the tires yesterday said it was not in the tires or the balance. He seen to know what he was talking about Thanks.

I for got to say this is a Honda used car dealer. He should know the ends and outs of a Honda.
He has been doing my car repairs for years. I did buy my 2003 Honda new. It now has 115,000 miles. The car will get up and go, Just need to get the problem fixed without too much more money, I don’t have. Thanks I need to find the problem also.

Sticking to the vibration at idle issue (which I assume to mean it does this while the car is not moving/engine running) maybe this is an engine performance problem.

Did this start right after the spark plug replacement or just before?
Was the vibration at idle the reason for the plug replacement?

No the vibration started after we had the work I told you about earlier. This started right after we had the new brakes put on and rotors turned and also the 2 motor mounts etc. The Plugs were put in a week later because the mechanic said they needed replacing too. He said sometimes they could be old and cause the engine to not run right.or break down when climbing a hill. We also started having the problem of the vibration being more noticeable when climbing a hill after we had this work done. We have never had the idle problem before.

We had the timing belt change at another date. This was done by Townsend Honda. They have also done our maintenance work and the few recalls we have had on this accord. We also had bought the extended warranty that Honda so generously sold us that they did not want to honor.

I think it’s likely that what was causing the vibration was there before the work was done, but was made more noticeable by the new motor mounts which are likely stiffer.

What about the change in shifting of transmission. It was not there before. Can you give me a reason for that? Could a vacuum line be loose or some other thing cause this with the transmission?

Have you ever own a Honda?

Henri, I am really confused. Your posts may make since to you but they are gibberish to me. Let me see if I have any of this right

The original balance and rotate and brake job was done by a Chevy dealer who is also a used Honda dealer? The vibration at speed started right after this work was done.

This Chevy/used Honda dealer also put in new plugs two weeks later and then the vibration at idle started.

The actual Honda dealer sold you the Honda, did warrantee work and the timing belt and you had no issues.

This Chevy/ used Honda dealer has done other work on this Honda and you were satisfied.

This Chevy/used Honda dealer also replaced all the motor mounts and the transmission mount and each time it got worse instead of better.

You had the tires road force balanced at another tire dealer and they said that there is nothing wrong with the tire/wheels that are on the vehicle now.

Three or four other shops have not been able to find the problem.

Now there is a transmission problem?

Is all that about right?

Does the vibration at speed get better, worse or stay the same when you touch the brakes?

Did this shifting problem just come up or did it start about the time the idle started getting rough?

Henri, each time you refer to vibration in the future, please distinguish whether you are talking about the vibration at speed or the vibration at idle. This is two separate issues and it take us time to figure out which one you are talking about at any given time.

In the mean time, stay away form that Chevy/used Honda dealer unless you are accompanied by a competent mechanic and a lawyer.

And one last thing, yes, I do own a Honda Accord. It just turned over 185k miles today.

Well guys. I have 4 brand new tires now and a new wheel on one. The car starts to vibrate at 50 and at 60 mph. You can feel the vibration in the passenger seat of the car. The vibration feels like it is coming from the back of the car. Any suggestion. All tires have been Road Force Balance. You can also feel the vibration in the steering wheel. It is not to bad, but it still there.

Get a new Mechanic, I am thinking wheel bearing. Do not put any ideas into the new mechanics head, just ask for why.

Thanks