CarTalk.com Blogs Car Info Our Show Deals Mechanics Files Vehicle Donation

2014 chevy spark fuel line

My son’s fuel line is leaking gas when the car is turned on. We paid $70 to having a roving mechanic look at it and he said he could not fix it as the gas tank needs to be lowered.He said it needs a new fuel line and the cost should be around $300. I had it towed into a chevy dealer and they just called and quoted me $587 to fix it(it just needs a new hose but as I said the tank needs to be lowered). They also said I needed the fuel injector flushed or cleared and now the quote is $749. I feel like this is a total scam and wondered what your thoughts are. Thanks for your time.

That’s a line of B.S.

Have it towed to an independent shop.

The tank may have to be lowered to do the repair.

I don’t know?

But here’s the kit I have for repairing fuel lines.

Tester

Concur, this work will be less expensive if done at a local independent. Ask your friends and such which shop they use, then choose a shop that specializes in Chevy’s, or at least American cars. I wouldn’t flush the injectors unless there is objective evidence they need to be flushed. Like an injector balance test. I wouldn’t be as much concerned at the fee as that they might damage something else in fuel system in the process.