2013 Volkswagen Tiguan - Consumes oil

Was the oil leaking from the OP sender switches? Other places?

It doesn’t seem like the oil loss is well understood or solved.

Certainly I would be checking and topping up as needed, every gas stop and every morning.

Not really high risk since you are aware of the issue. Check your oil level every time you fill with gas. If you need to add oil, you have a gallon for that purpose. If it’s a really long trip you can always buy more oil. I’m sure that you will take a funnel if you need one for adding oil. I don’t with my cars, but not all cars offer easy access for the long neck oil bottle.

1 Like

To assess your oil consumption problem we need to know how many quarts you need to add per 1000 miles. What is that number from August '22 to Jan '23? & what is the shop’s explanation for the oil pressure switch replacements? My Corolla is 30 years old, still has the original oil pressure switch. My truck is 50 years old, still has original oil-pressure sender for the dashboard oil pressure gauge. So it is very unusual you’ve had to have that part replaced so frequently. Whatever is causing that might be a clue to the actual problem.

This tip might be helpful for OP’s upcoming trip: I make my own disposable oil-fill funnels, using the top cut-off from discarded plastic bottles. For my two vehicles, mouthwash bottles (Listerine, etc) are just the right size. The threads on the bottle top sort of screw into the oil-fill hole so it stays in place while I pour the oil in. When I’m done, I put the home-brew funnel, now coated with oil, in a plastic bag & toss it in the garbage.

Another tip for OP: don’t try to pour oil from a one gallon container into the engine. Too awkward, especially if you are trying to pour an exact amount in. Instead pour the exact amount needed into a smaller container (one quart or so), then pour from the smaller container into the engine.

Your car is 10 years old, so every part is also 10 years old. 10 year old parts fail from time to time. So yes, there is some risk associated with the age of your car. But given you are planning to monitor the oil level frequently, I wouldn’t consider it to be a high risk.

1 Like