2013 Land Rover LR2 sputters and dies in cold weather after refuel

My 2013 Land Rover LR2 (130,000 miles) has been super reliable. We drive it back and forth seasonally, spending summers in Kansas City and winters in south Florida. The only time the car has a problem is when it starts to get cold in KC. Once the weather dips below 50 or so the engine light will come on, and the car will be hard to start after I gas it up. It will crank for 30 - 60 seconds before it finally starts, and then it will be absolutely fine until the next time I have to fill it with gas again - then it will have the same starting problem. SO, the obvious fix is to not turn it off when I fill it with gas - but I tried that. The problem then is that when I drive it away from the gas station it will start sputtering and will die when I get to the first stop light. After that I can start it up and it will drive just fine until the NEXT time I have to fill it with gas. These issues only happen immediately after we gas it up in cold weather. The rest of the time it starts and runs fine.
Once we leave cold Kansas City and get to Florida the engine light will turn off and it will run just fine the rest of the winter. This has been going on for 2 winters now. I’ve had multiple dealerships look for the problem, but they cannot find anything. Other than spending the summers in southern Florida, I’m open to any suggestions you might have.

What are the CEL codes?

Something is malfunctioning in the system that collects gasoline vapors from the fuel system, stores them, and at the right time lets them into the running engine - called the EVAP system. Not uncommon, and not usually a big deal to find and fix. Good luck and please let us know.

Both dealerships that have looked into the problem have said that it’s something to do with the EVAP system, but neither could not find an exact cause. They have suggested that it may be because the gas cap is not tightened properly, and ever since the first time I have been very diligent about getting it tight. The problem remained. At one point I had the dealer install a new gas cap, but that didn’t make any difference. But, once I got to warmer weather the problem stopped.

Not turning it off may throw a CEL, my obvious thought is if you need 12 gallons put in 10, workaround #3,200,154 :slight_smile:

Actually, I hadn’t thought of that. I’ll give it a try next winter. Thanks!