2013 Kia Optima - Reimbursement

I too had a steering problem, the wheel kept making clicking sounds and hard to turn. I have, this date Nov 1, 2018 had it repaired with complete new steering bushings replaced. I would like to know if I can be reimbursed for this cost. I have little mileage on this car and cannot understand how this could have happened. The part removed was made of rubber and replaced with a rubber part. I was told that this could happen again because of the quality of the equipment.

The answer can be found in a thorough reading of your warranty coverage, and that type of documentation should be in your glove compartment. While your vehicle may have a 10 year/100k miles Powertrain Warranty, steering column bushings are not a part of the car’s powertrain.

You also have (or, more likely, had) a “Bumper-to-Bumper” Warranty that covers everything on the car, but those warranties typically run for 3 years/30k miles. With a car that is now 5 years old, it is unlikely that you have any warranty coverage remaining–except for the Emissions Warranty and (maybe) the rust-through warranty–but steering column bushings are not covered by either of those warranties.

So, while you might be able to find some favorable details when you read the particulars of your warranties, I have to say that I really doubt if your recent repair would be covered.

We need more information here. What does your warranty booklet say that your coverage is? Where was this repair done? Did you discuss this repair with the dealer before having it done? How much did this cost?

Kia’s “Bumper-to-Bumper” warranty is 60 months/60,000 miles and transfers to subsequent owners. I have seen safety recalls that address reimbursement.

If you bought the car before Nov 1, 2013 and you have less than 60,000 miles on it, you may have a case. Was the work done at a Kia dealer? If so, why didn’t they do it under warranty? If another shop fixed your steering, you may have a hard time getting Kia to reimburse you. Remember, your warranty is with Kia, not the dealer.