2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport - Consumes oil

Do you know if the oil sump was full after your last oil change? If you started out a half quart or a quart low, the oil consumption is not abnormal. Check the oil level immediately after every oil change and you will have a clear starting point to measure from.

Hyundai has had a lot of issues with the 4cyl engine in your vehicle, and has had to recall it to remedy them. Check with your dealer and see if you meet the parameters to have your engine replaced.

Thatā€™s roughly 800 miles per quart and may be within Hyundai specifications. Check what the owners manual says.

Any car that goes through a quart every 800ish or so miles has a problem and yes a problem that severe can easily be caused by extended oil change regimens or by running the oil level low. Itā€™s going to get worse. Hereā€™s what Hyundai said in their owners manual about ā€œOwner Maintenanceā€ although I do not agree with the checking the coolant part. That can be dangerous on a hot engine. Check the oil level every time you get gas.

Hereā€™s a video about stuck rings. Of the 3 rings the oil control (wiper or scraper as it may be called) is the one that most generally sticks and when it does the ring does not conform to the cylinder shape as the piston moves up and down. It should wipe the cylinder wall of motor oil on each down stroke. I do not necessarily approve of this guyā€™s torch method and cold water quench though. Kind of illustrates a common problem and in some cases it may take mild chiseling to get the rings loose. This applies to any car, any engine, and any mileage.

Yah a lot of know it allā€™s who probably dont know as much as they think. I have a 2015 Santa Fe Sport that uses a quart of oil probably every 150 miles, I also own a 2013 Kia Optima with same engine that uses maybe a quart of oil every 1000 miles and will run circles around the Hyundai. Donā€™t know how much you have researched or what you heard from dealer since your post but There are a number of things going on here. First let me just say I bought this Santa Fe from the credit union and pretty sure who ever had it ran the guts out of it. First and foremost Hyundai has had a lot of problems with a number of their engines but any warranty questions or requests they will ask for a copy of all your maintenance records particularly oil changes and they will check to see if you did all the recalls. For your particular vehicle check the compression, if compression is good and you are using that much oil the next thing to do would be to put new valve stem seals in and new oil seal. May or may not stop problem but should slow down oil usage. 2nd thing, this isnā€™t unique to Hyundai, since the introduction of the GDI engines (in theory good idea but in the real world unintended problems) oil usage after x numbers of miles goes up significantly and a lot of dealers tell you its normal, which it is but its due to design flaw. The 2nd contributing factor to this is the lower and lower viscosity oils (meaning thinner) recommended by the manufacturers, this has nothing to do with better performance or being better at all, mechanically its a bad idea but the manufacturers recommend it because its one of the ways they use to try to meet the government fuel mileage requirements (another useless and bad idea from a government bureau). I would never put anything less than 5-20w oil in my car, and any car with 30-50k miles or more on it, use 5-30w synthetic.

A question for the experts: would a dealer use emission testing to get a quantitative measurement of oil burning? More generally, what would give them a definitive diagnosis?

Emmission should show elevated hydrocarbons but, the catalytic converter will work exceptionally hard to consume those hydrocarbons. So hard it will destroy the cat so that wonā€™t work.

Oil consumption test is how you confirm oil consumption. How many quarts in how many miles. 3 checks should be enough to convince. This isnā€™t highly technical, it is very simple to determine how many miles per quart the engine consumes.

Next, check the crankcase pressure when the engine is running to determine if the evac system is doing its job and how much blowby is getting past the piston rings. Then you run a compression test, dry and wet. If the engine fails the compression test, the rings are allowing the oil past. If it passes the compression test, the valve seals are the likely problem.

1 Like