2013 Ford Escape - Touch screen out

My 2013 Ford Escape Center computer screen just went out. The darn thing just will not come on. This is the touch screen that controls air, radio and other functions. Does anyone know what might have happened and what one can do to fix it myself?

Make sure you have a good battery. Your model has a negative battery cable with a current sensor attached. The sensor provides feedback to the computer. If the battery or sensor do not properly function you could lose your display.

Ask my son, it happened to his a few months ago. I don’t know what he paid for the cable replacement, but installed it himself in less than an hour.

1 Like

There’s a software update available for the touch screen functioni apparently, if you haven’t already had that done. Unlikely to be a cause for this symptom, but you might be able to get Ford to fix the current problem in the process of having them do the software update. Refer to tsb’s 13-10-6 and 12-11-1. Addressing the battery comment posted above should be done first. If you have know how to use an accurate digital volt meter you could do a basic battery/alternator check

• before the first start of the day the battery should measure about 12.6 volts
  • then after starting the engine, at idle it should measure 13.5-15.5 volts