2013 Ford Escape oil level twice as high as normal

I just purchase a Ford Escape 2013 and already notice that the oil level is twice as high from normal but no smell of Anti-freeze or foame on the stick.I wondering what could be the problem.

Between the 2 times you checked the level did you do anything about it…like remove some oil?

Since you just bought the vehicle, it would be a good idea to change the oil/filter so you have a new reference point for oil/filter maintenance.service.

Then in the mean time, watch the oil level

Tester

If you just bought it, my first guess would be that the previous owner over-filled the oil.

I’d check all* fluids for level, condition, and correct fluid.

+1
If the vehicle recently had its oil changed, there is a very real possibility that whoever did the service drained the transmission instead of the engine’s crankcase. Then, by adding oil to the already-filled crankcase, you wind up with twice as much oil as there should be. However, that is just half of a MAJOR problem. The other half is a transmission that is dangerously low on fluid.

Check all of your fluids IMMEDIATELY, and don’t drive it if the transmission dipstick shows no fluid.
:open_mouth:

Reginald53, how do you know it’s twice the oil level? On most dip sticks the distance from low to full is about a quart. It’d have to be > 4 inches higher than full to be double right?

Some places will routinely overfill oil slightly but it’s not really a problem for most cars.