Transmission Oil Level Confusion

Hi everyone,

Yesterday I did a transmission drain and fill on my 2009 V6. I accidentally added an extra .25 quarts. I checked the oil level afterwards and it was a bit above the top marker on the dip stick, maybe .25 of an inch. However, the car was warm but not hot at that point. So then I drove around until it got nice and hot and then let it sit for 60 seconds as Honda recommends. At that point the oil level was right at the top marker. Out of curiosity I checked it this morning when the trans was cold and the level was again slightly above the top marker. I always assumed it would be higher when hot, but this does not seem to be the case. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it normal/explainable? I assume some of the oil is spread throughout the transmission when only sitting for 60 seconds and gets higher as it drips down after the car sits. However, I wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this?

Maybe the transmission’s aluminum case expands more than the oil at higher temps.

I have not experienced this, just spitballing a theory.

I am assuming you are talking about an automatic transaxle… And you are checking the transmission fluid level while the engine is running…

When you drive around and go through all the gears the fluid runs through all the passageways, drums/clutch packs, torque converter and when you turn the engine off the transmission fluid will drain back and when you start it up cold and have not run the transmission through the gears then all the voids are not filled and will show a higher then normal level… Plus the more ATF fluid a transmission takes the more it will expand…

Davesmopar - That is what I was thinking also, but I never heard of the trans oil being higher when the engine is cold. The engine is off for 60-90 seconds as the user manual indicates and yes, it is an automatic transmission.

Is the engine running when you are checking the fluid level???

I think you are getting the drain and fill multiple times checking fluid level with checking the fluid level the final time…

The engine must be at operating temp and running when checking the ATF level…

To check the level of the transmission fluid, follow these simple steps:

Pull Out the Dipstick

Put the vehicle in “neutral” or “park” and make sure that the parking brake is on. Let the engine run—you want to make sure that the engine is warm when you pull out the dipstick, so don’t turn off the engine!

Check the Fluid

Dip the tip of your index finger into the fluid on the dipstick and rub it between your finger and the tip of your thumb. The transmission fluid on the dipstick should be pinkish and almost clear. If it looks or smells burnt or has particles in it, your vehicle will need a fluid replacement.

Wipe the Dipstick Clean, Reinsert it, and Pull it Out Again

If the transmission fluid is clear but doesn’t reach the “full” line on the dipstick, use a funnel to pour just enough transmission fluid down the tube to reach the line—be careful not to overfill! Before you do this, be sure to check your owner’s manual to find out the exact type of transmission fluid that your Honda needs. There are several different types of transmission fluid and each is made for a specific type of automatic transmission.

The engine is shut off. The manual indicates to shut the engine off and wait 60 seconds but not longer than 90. I know most cars say to keep it running. Hondas must be different I guess. I added a screenshot.

Tester

Yes I wasn’t thinking about the Honda transmission being a Honda transmission…
Meaning Honda Automatic Transmission is different than almost all other automobile manufacturers, because they do not have planetary gears . Instead, they are similar to manual transmissions, since they have individual gears that are on parallel axels, so that is why you check then engine off instead of engine running… I understand the inner workings of Honda transaxles and CVT’s as well as DCT’s, but I have not messed with them a lot and it has been a while since even checking a Honda transmission fluid level sooo Oops, my bad…

Dexron II, just how old is the manual this pdf is from?