2013 Equinox Sudden Electrical Issues

Took my 2013 Equinox to dealer for routine oil change service. Ever since, have had odd electrical issues. Vehicle started and performed perfectly until then. Now it’s slow to start, especially the first time, and the wipers and emergency flashers turn on automatically upon starting. This happens routinely now but never happened until this last dealer service. Coincidence, or not? Could the tech have dislodged battery connection causing this to happen? Or might there be some other minor reason for such sudden and odd behavior? FYI, I know very little about cars so I haven’t messed with anything myself to this point. Would love some guidance before talking to any shop people.

The battery is failing, time for a new battery. How long is the warranty on the battery in your vehicle? I frequently replace batteries that are 2 to 3 years old.

Not sure about the warranty. I bought the car in 2017 from a family member. I’ve replaced tires, but don’t think I’ve replaced the battery. Wondered if it was a failing battery, but I’ve not seen such activity in previous autos; usually there was just a total sudden death! May be a silly question, but does it really make a difference what battery is purchased or who it’s purchased from? Any places better than others?

Buy batteries for the warranty. There are only a few manufacturers but many brands. Walmart, Sams Club and Costco all sell decent batteries with good warranty. They will test your old one to confirm it needs replacing (or not) If you bought this in 17, have not put a battery in it, it clearly is due. Modern car depend heavily on the battery for their many electronics.

1 Like

A failing BCM can cause all kinds of weird electrical behaviors in a vehicle.

Tester

Thanks so much, guys. VERY much appreciate your prompt and helpful replies. Will get the battery checked first and go from there, although I suspect it’s the BCM after researching more about it. Grateful that I’m a more informed consumer today than I was yesterday. Will let you know how it goes…

To follow up…
Before I had a chance to get the battery checked or visit a shop, the battery did completely die. The typical “NO REACTION” upon start up required immediate action. I picked up a new battery at Costco. Replacement of the battery has resolved all the odd electrical behavior, and the vehicle is back to performing normally. I’d not previously experienced a dying battery creating strange electrical actions, but now I know what CAN happen. And now I also know more about other electrical issues that CAN happen when the BCM malfunctions. I love being a more informed auto owner. Thanks, guys!

1 Like