2013 chrysler 300 shut down. Broken rod?

You would be well advised to consult with an attorney before you continue down that path.
:thinking:

I dont want to let it go just yet because itā€™s too easy off the hook for dealership and chrysler. I wonder if they do this on a whim whenever they feel like it. With complete disregard for fact and law. Challenging the injured party to fight them. Knowing many donā€™t know how or cant or wonā€™t. And if someone does fight them and wins then what did they lose? Usually nothing. No punitive damages allowed. So there isnā€™t any incentive for them not to do it. Thatā€™s why Iā€™m going to do whatever I can for as long as I can to make sure the facts become public knowledge and I will do everything I can to have this dealership investigated. Thatā€™s the least amount of hurt I can send their way and it isnā€™t purely punitive. If I can help one person avoid this dealership or if one person can find guidance and courage to pursue justice then I am happy. Iā€™m sorry I donā€™t know who rollie is.

1 Like

I thought a power train warranty fixed the problem? Not buy the car back?

Why would I need an attorney.

@Syb388 It seems that most of the replies to you are against your naming the dealer or names. There are venues for such an action like Yelp and Angies list. You really have no way of knowing if your case is common with this dealer or not. Also dealerships in this country change hands all the time. The dealer you had problems with could be sold tomorrow.
The site moderator has politely asked you to not post names. My sympathies for your trouble but there comes a time to just move on.

2 Likes

Personally I wonā€™t let it go because justice hasnā€™t been served yet. The arbitrators decision doesnā€™t address all quantifiable damages such as 8 months without a vehicle and the 6 month insurance premium which had been paid a few days prior to the car breaking. Thatā€™s the bare minimum for justice. In my opinion itā€™s worthwhile doing what can be done to create a deterrent as well. I wonā€™t harp on this here much longer. Iā€™ll just say that the chrysler company and the dealership acted like bullies and behind these corporate shields there were real individuals acting like bullies and bullies should be shamed. Maybe because the facts hadnā€™t come out maybe thatā€™s why this has been the response here so Iā€™ll just throw out here two facts. Chrysler denied the warranty because they claimed the vehicle had ingested water. There was zero evidence of water. As a matter of fact every component of the vehicle was dry. To account for the fact that there wasnā€™t actually any signs of water chrysler originally suggested bad gas. maybe because they realized that wouldnā€™t fly they later accused us in their written statement to the arbitrator of flooding the vehicle a month prior. The service manager wrote a statement stating the engine had obviously been disassembled and reassembled and that the air filter was switched for a new air filter. The fact is the car had been towed from the freeway where it wasnā€™t possible for the car to flood out. chrysler presented their conclusion of water ingestion as fact because ā€œtheir technicians had performed digital imagingā€ in fact they were forced to admit to the arbitrator that the rod could have broken because of tensile failure. My thanks to member mustingman for that assist. Essentially they shot the arrow and painted the target around their arrow to fit their ā€œfactsā€. Chrysler corporate wasnā€™t any better. They chose to uphold this dealerships decision. At no point did chrysler stop to consider the actual evidence. I thought to post a detailed summary of the arbitrators decision with a presentation of arguments and facts so this would be public record because youā€™d want to know if your favorite restaurant was up to funny business in the kitchen and Iā€™d want to know this about chrysler if I was considering a chrysler. Like I said earlier I wonā€™t mention names and I havenā€™t so we donā€™t need to discuss that anymore and Iā€™ll leave it at this then thanks.

1 Like

S*** happens. You donā€™t have cause to get that back. How about if I pay a 6 month premium and run my car off the road and become disabled? Iā€™m not getting it back. Or if Iā€™m involved in an accident with another vehicle? Or any number of scenarios?? I do pity your situation, you did go through one nasty ordeal, but I donā€™t see you getting the insurance premium back.

Actually I believe in the scenarios you described you would get it back. I believe you can cancel a policy at any time. Anyway weā€™ll see. The arbitrators decision was a great moment for me it addresses the crux of the issue.

1 Like

Maybe if Iā€™m in an accident with another vehicle, but I doubt it. I canā€™t think of any time Iā€™ve ever heard of a premium able to be claimed like thisā€¦regardless, good luck going forward

Thank you,

Thanks for posting the resolution to this frustrating problem. I concur w/the advice above, posting individual names here wonā€™t accomplish anything anyway. The conflict which was finally settled was between you and Chrysler Corp from what I can tell, and thatā€™s all anybody needs to know. Cars are very complicated these days, and it isnā€™t always easy to determine with 100% certainty who and what is at fault. It sounds like you are satisfied with the result overall, and thatā€™s what is important.

Folks here would probably be interested in what the consensus thinking is on why the connecting rod broke in the first place. Any ideas on that yet? Material design problem? Problem with a specific manufactured part? Assembly problem? Remains unknown?

The manufacturer has a contractual and legal obligation to fix a manufacturing defect while in warranty period. If they canā€™t pin point the cause of the defect then by definition they are bound legally to fix it. The only way they would be absolved of that duty is if they could positively pinpoint the issue as something other than a warranty issue. They couldnā€™t positively state that. They didnā€™t even have cause to suggest it. That didnā€™t stop them from stating it as fact. And then making up facts and accusing me of fraud. Making up facts is fraud. Their service manager committed fraud to prevent my father access to his vehicle. There was no good cause.

1 Like

As for why the rod broke? Who knows. All we know is it wasnā€™t water and therefore was a manufacturing defect.

1 Like

Iā€™m guessing it had some kind of a flaw in it, undetected hairline crack etc, and eventually it fatigued enough to give way. I wonder if they x-ray or ultrasound every rod manufactured for imperfections and cracks? They may only sample a certain % of the parts for that type of testing.

I had a friend years ago whoā€™s job was to walk along oil pipelines and test the welds from one section to the next. Iā€™m not sure if he used x-rays or ultrasound. Around that same time there was a big batch of copper plumbing pipe that got installed in new houses and turned out later to have metal imperfections that resulted in pinhole leaks. That was a big mess as you might imagine.

Weā€™re not hearing both sides of course, but from what you say Iā€™d have to agree, the company would have served themselves better to just replace the engine and be done with the matter. They make the engines after all, itā€™s not like making one more would be a huge burden on them.

Because if you go on a public rant against them and publically name names, chances are youā€™ll be defending yourself in civil courtā€¦ possibly even criminal court depending on the way your state statutes are written.

Have your dad contact an attorney to see if he has any possibility of a successful financial recovery. If not, move on with your life. Donā€™t let your anger consume you. That rarely ends well.

1 Like

Iā€™d be so happy for them to call me to court for defamation. Why? Because every word I say is true. They embarrassed themselves in arbitration and theyā€™d embarrass themselves in court. And whatever happened to 1st amendment?

Seven months can seem like a long time, how long did you wait before having the damage inspected so that you could present your assessment of failure that would counter theirs?

From my observations most people in this situation contact their insurance company to handle a damage claim like this. The insurance company will send an inspector to assess the damage, if rejected they have professional opinion on the nature of the damage.

The evidence mustā€™ve been overwhelming against the dealership. As someone whoā€™s worked for car dealerships before, Iā€™ll say the arbitration clause that they put in the contract whenever you buy a car is for their benefit. These arbiters/panels tend to side with the dealerships more often than not.

2 Likes

The first amendment is not absolute. If you think it is, try yelling ā€œfireā€ in a crowded theater.
Donā€™t badmouth people on the internet by spreading nasty comments about them using their names. If you do, youā€™ll be not only totally ā€œout of lineā€ but also seeking trouble, and it just might find you.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Personal attacks are never good. No good ever comes from them.

1 Like

The person who started this thread was not the owner of the vehicle and was not present when the engine failure occurred. The arbitration that they finally obtained for their father resulted in a outcome that might have been all that could be reached ( dealer taking car back for purchase price minus 50000 mileage fee ). He has not said how the father feels about all this and the dealer and people involved might have just been wrong and not actually doing anything illegal.

It might be best if @cdaquila closes this with a notice that the problem was solved to some degree and that it will probably never be known what actually caused the failure.

1 Like