2013 chrysler 300 shut down. Broken rod?

I liked the part about if you need any additional assistance . . . Like what, a hammer to hit the head with?

Like Triedaq I had a couple small engines with the blown rods. One Briggs I bought as a kid cheap. The neighbors dad fashioned a plate and gasket over the hole the rod made in the block. Worked fine as long as I had it. Another one was a tech I bought in a basket. I had the block welded and put new parts in and seemed fine. Those were known to throw rods if the oil ever got low. The rod was in pieces but didnā€™t look bent. I guess Iā€™d believe the pros here that it was likely a defect so good luck.

I would guess, based on how the rod broke, that the rod was a faulty casting and over time it failed. Not so unusual. A close examination where the rod separated should show some evidence of an old hairline crack or a flaw in the metal. A metallurgist can give a definitive report. Yes, tell Dad to get a lawyer, then be prepared to spend money on the research and court costs. Chrysler has deep pockets and you will have to sue for a new engine and court costs. Hereā€™s hoping you win.

hi everyone
just to update action has been taken so now we are waiting but thought id post this latest response i received from the dealership
"After having the engine examined by an ASE certified technician, the determination is that the vehicle was somehow introduced to water causing catastrophic failure to the engine. The engine was torn down and inspected by our Chrysler Certified technician, photos were taken and submitted to the Chrysler Authorization team who determined the cause to be hydro-lock. This is not a failure that will be covered by Chrysler warranty as the parts that failed were damaged by the water coming into the engine."

on another note i have a friend who works for ford and he says he believe the stalling is related to a known issue with the 2013 chrysler awd related to an alternator recall. he says the fact the car stalled with no warning at all fits in with the symptoms of that recall. any thoughts? https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2013/CHRYSLER/300/4%2520DR/AWD#recalls

An alternator that fails to charge will not break connecting rods and pistons.

Have you had this engine inspected by a professional inspector yet? If you hire an attorney he will have the engine inspected but that will cost much more and the results may be disappointing.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, I think an attorney is his only path forward from here.
Itā€™s also unfortunate that so much evidence has now been destroyed. An attorney might get them to ā€œfreezeā€ the parts pending an outside investigation. He might also say thereā€™s no case here. But I see no path out other than talking with one. Clearly the manufacturer has dug their heels in.

I still wonder if the piston is seized in the cylinder bore and/or what shape that piston is in.

Nevada is also correct that an engine inspection and attorney fees might be a poor financial choice. Around here in cheaper OK an attorney will not touch a case for less than 2000 dollars retainer. Once the legal squabbling begins the tab goes up.

As for bad gas, I might pose this scenario. Assuming thereā€™s an issue with bad gas, EGR problem etc, and thereā€™s some hellacious rattling going on due to detonationā€¦

I know the point will be made that ā€œwell, they surely would have heard itā€. Not necessarily so. Iā€™ve seen countless cars being driven with knocks, rattles, pulls, vibrations, and so on in which the owners were totally and blissfully unaware of those issues.

What if oil was not being slung from that crank journal due to a sludging issue and the piston seized due to oil starvation. The piston stops; the crank and rod keeps movingā€¦
Anyway just some food for thought.

My father had a used car dealership for over 20 years so heā€™s sensitive to knocks and rattles and things of that nature so that wouldnt have slipped him. He did always complain he didnt like the way the car drives that itā€™s heavy and sluggish but he was told thatā€™s just the nature of this car

finally a resolution has been reached. i will post updates later. i intend to post a complete timeline of the events as well as the name of the dealership as well as the names of the individuals in the dealership who lied to cause chrysler to restrict the warranty, i will do this because although we have received a favorable decision and even though it is as favorable as the arbitrator cold have granted within his power it doesnā€™t make up for what these individuals and chrysler did to us.instead of apologizing for their vehicle dangerously stalling out on the highway and fixing it per the warranty they accused us of fraud. for no good reason without any facts at all they concocted a version of events which they believed caused the car to break and then they presented their theory as indisputable fact. not only didnt they have any evidence to support their theory but i will show later their was clear evidence which totally negates their theory and shows clearly what happened is exactly as we stated. but chrysler never bothered to look for facts and never gave us the opportunity to show that this decision they had reached was wrong. the dealership and chrysler company blocked and dismissed us at every turn. this isnt just a corporate mess up. this is real individuals who took it upon themselves to cause us an injustice.

1 Like

for this moment i would just like to put some advice out there for others who may be experiencing similar problems to what i had experienced. if youre being bullied by a corporate giant like chrsyler and denied service youre entitled to you should know first and foremost that you are entitled to an arbitration. the arbitrators decision is binding on chrysler and isnt binding on you. this should be your first step after youve exhausted options of resolving this directly with the dealership/manufacturer. i was not aware i had this option and even after posting online and consulting with friends and lawyers this option never came to my attention until just recently. if i had known about this option 7 months ago i would have requested an arbitration 7 months ago.

for all the talk of needing a lawyer: maybe in some states that wouldnt be a terrible option because of possible punitive damages but the state of michigan does not allow for punitive damages in a warranty dispute. in general when the dispute is a small amount it is is almost impossible to find decent legal representation. while $8,000 isnt small for me and probably you but for most lawyers it isnt enough. this is what i was told by every lawyer i approached. and those were the decent lawyers who even bothered to tell me this. most dont even bother to respond at all. beware if in such an instance you do find a lawyer to take your case and he asks for money as a retainer. from my personal experience with lawyers to whom ive given ā€œsmallā€ monies down for ā€œsmallā€ cases - its as good as flushing your money away. in a best case scenario the lawyer will probably attempt to arbitrate the matter for you - something you could do yourself- and then he will want 30% of the resolution money. if that happens you didnt get justice, you got screwed less. so this is my piece of advice: prepare your facts and request an arbitration.
another piece of advice never take any incentive when purchasing a vehicle if that incentive would have you sign a binding arbitration clause. meaning you are signing to bind yourself by arbitration and forgo your right to sue. you will lose your right to ever sue later on. i have nothing bad to say about the ncds arbitration nor the arbitrator. on the contrary. the process was not difficult and felt impartial. the arbitrator heard presentations from both sides and rendered a fair and just decision.
but never give up your constitutional rights to a fair trial - that may be your only chance at justice.

1 Like

ā€œfinally a resolution has been reachedā€
"we have received a favorable decision"
uh, ok

Frankly, I would advise against posting dealership name and individual names. Now if you want to contact a local news station or newspaper and be willing to have your name used then do that.
Not sure a timeline is needed just say what your final solution was.

1 Like

the decision of the arbitrator was to have chrysler purchase the vehicle from us at original purchase price minus mileage used.
the timeline i plan to provide is simply a succinct outline of all the facts. this will show how what should have been a routine warranty fix turned into a nightmare for us and how that could happen to anyone. the purpose of these postings after a resolution has been reached is to publicly warn potential customers away from this dealership and chrysler in general and to let the parties know that they cant act this way and come out unscathed. when youre playing with peoples lives youve got to have skin off your own back.

1 Like

I beg you, please do not post anybodyā€™s name. Thatā€™s a serious violation of their rights and their privacy.
Theyā€™re only employees of a company. Blame the company openly, but not the individuals trying to make a living.

1 Like

Ok I will withhold the names if the individuals but it isnā€™t their rights which are being violated. I will post screenshots of documents later. Screenshots which show this dealerships employees statement to chrysler. Statements which are lies. Not wrong opinions but lies. What they did to my father that was a violation of his rights. And what they did was criminal they donā€™t have rights to privacy anymore but I will leave their names for the sake of peace.

1 Like

Better yet, leave them out for the sake of decency. Would you want someone badmouthing you on the internet behind your back?

1 Like

I know you are upset and have been pulled through the ringer, but at this all most of us would like to know is the basic facts. You had the engine problem, spent umpteen months fighting with the Italians for resolution, and finally you got it resolved through arbitration. No need to go into other details just to rub it in. Its best just to move on and forget it. You donā€™t want to hear a blow by blow account of my encounter with Rollie either. Rollie lied too.

Thank you for not sharing any names; I was going to chime in to ask that you donā€™t. Iā€™m glad youā€™ve gotten the resolution you sought, and I salute your persistence.

Ding, ding!
:bell:

Iā€™m not doing anything behind anyoneā€™s back. Id be happy for this to reach these individuals. They deserve to be publicly shamed and I reiterate: if you screw someone over you have no right to claim privacy if that person chooses to expose you. Maybe theyā€™ve done this so many times without consequence they feal no fear so maybe someone like myself seeing then through to the end and not letting up at all and exposing them in end is what needs to be done to make sure they donā€™t do it again. If you disagree with me on this and you still believe itā€™s indecent to expose individuals and companies of the nature Iā€™ve described then we just have a different moral compass you and I.

1 Like