2012 Escape fan level 1 out

Have a 2012 Escape and the first level on my fan stopped working. All other speeds are good to go. Should I replace the blower resistor? If so, can you provide details on replacing?

Sounds good to me, a video is worth 1000 pictures

Also highly recommend that not only do you replace the resistor card. You should also consult TSB 14-0157 to reduce the amount of water ingestion into the HVAC.

On my Corolla the first (low speed) stopped working. I ohm’d the blower resistor out and discovered that the low-speed portion had opened up. So replacing the resistor would fix the problem. I don’t need that speed, so I just live with it. Designs using blower resistors, b/c of the way the power is distributed between the fan and the resistor, it is usually the low speed that stops working, and the rest continue to work.

You guys are heros. I’ll post with details when I have it cured.

FYI, just installed new blower resistor and have low speed option back. With resistor out, only top speed works. Haven’t ever encountered a failing resistor before. Realized part can be obtained at local auto store.

Oddly enough I just did this repair on my GM SUV. I got tired of just fan speed 3 or 4. The part is not so much a resistor anymore but a module much like the video shows. 6 screws and 2 connectors and it is replaced.

@Viktor
Good To Hear!

“Haven’t ever encountered a failing resistor before.”

Something else to remember when talking about blower fans and resistors…
I lost some fans speeds on one of my vehicles and replaced the resistor. That fixed the problem, but not for long. When the same problem came back I returned the resistor for a warranty exchange part, only to have that resistor blow in short order.

From my experience and study into this problem it seems that a worn blower motor (usually on higher miles vehicles) or something restricting a blower fan can overload a resistor and burn it out fairly quickly. Sometimes leaves & tree debris or rodent building materials & food can drag the fan down enough to overload it. You can sometimes hear the “stuff” hitting the fan or bits coming from the vents.

Since a short-lived resistor is often the result of a bad fan or something in the fan then removing the fan and taking a look at it is recommended. A salvage yard low-miles fan solved the problem of my worn high-miles fan at a fraction of the cost of a new one.

Some fans have easy access and some don’t. Some are quite expensive and some aren’t. I suppose had mine been more difficult to replace I would have opted for a new part.

CSA

Good to hear you have all fan speeds functional again. This is a pretty common reported here.