Blower resistor

I’ve had to change the blower motor resistor in my 1999 Astro Van 3 times in the last year. The high speed of the fan motor will not work when the resistor goes bad.
What could cause the resistor to go bad so often? I purchased the replacement from my local auto parts store and they do replace it under warrany but I feel something must be causing he problem.

You need to replace your fan.

+1

I Agree With TXdealer & Cigroller. A Worn Out Blower Motor / Fan Will Keep Blowing Resistors.

They are usually pretty expensive, new. If it’s not real hard to replace you could try a used one. I’ve had good luck with ones from Take-It-Off-Yourself auto salvage yards at a fraction of the new price. The trick is finding a vehicle with relatively low miles that was totalled and hasn’t been crushed. It’s good to practice the fan removal on a cadaver vehicle, too.

Call a dealer and see what they want for a new one, first. Then decide how to proceed.

P.S. Another thought. Does the fan sound OK when it works ? Sometimes debris (leaves, bugs) or misplaced foam gaskets, etcetera, interfere with the fan and I suppose that would also load up the resistor too much, just as the defective motor would.

CSA

the windings on the resister gets corrosion on it and makes it not work, probably due to tempature, moister,salt,and dirt.

" the windings on the resister gets corrosion on it and makes it not work, probably due to tempature, moister,salt,and dirt."

I would consider your theory if this was the original 1999 resistor, but not when “I’ve had to change the blower motor resistor in my 1999 Astro Van 3 times in the last year.

They can’t corrode that fast. If that was the case then the first resistor wouldn’t have lasted all those years.

CSA