2012 Dodge Journey Transmission Leak and Rod(?)

My wife texted me and said she heard something dragging the ground. She saw pink fluid on the ground.
I went to check and a U-rod type part (yea, not a car guy) was hanging down underneath the radiator area. And transmission fluid was on the ground. I started it up to see and transmission fluid came out as a small stream. I’ve attached a picture of the hanging part.
A friend said something about transmission oil cooling rod…
Thanks for the help!
20190114_130542|374x500

That looks liked the power steering line, that loop is the cooler.

3 Likes

So power steering instead of transmission fluid?
How would I check the difference?

The power steering system uses ATF+4, red in color, the same as the transmission. Check the fluid level in the power steering reservoir.

Thanks! Will do.
I’ll update what I find out.

Checked the reservoir. Empty. Gave a quick test drive. No steering help. Thanks for the input. Is there any patch I can do, or am I having to replace it?
The loop end closest to the ground on the back side of the loop dragged for a while and has a hole where the fluid streams out while the car is on.

You cannot seal a hole in steel tube/line. You need to replace the part.

Thanks! Yea, I know the basics - how to change fluids, a tire, battery. That’s about it. Thanks everyone!

Yup that aluminum “loop” is a primitive cooler but a cooler nonetheless. In the real world that loop should have cooling fins attached to it which would make it look like a long rectangular radiator, but this is how things are done these days sometimes. The trans cooler runs into the radiator…so that loopy is almost surely your power steering cooler.

Not a big deal, easy to fix, no panic involved…