2011 Volvo C70 - Headliner replacement

what is the total cost and labor for replacing center headliner on 2011 Volvo c70 t please.

Looks like a new headliner is $1120 and perhaps 2 to 3 hours of labor.

Consider having the headliner repaired at an automotive trim shop.

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum…

No way we can give you an accurate total cost not even knowing if you are in the USA or UK etc… and even then what part… labor cost can be different from one side of town to the next, much less city to city or state to state… I’m pretty sure Ky would be cheaper then Cali or NY…

You best bet is to call local automotive upholstery shops in your area and ask them this question…

4 Likes

No experience w/OP’s particular car, but I’d be surprised if the fee totaled less than $1500, parts/labor. To do it correctly the headliner backer board usually has to be removed from the car. I didn’t do it correctly on my Corolla, instead I re-used the board as is, just pinned the falling material back up using a decorative straight pin pattern. Looks ok; who’s looking at the ceiling anyway? About an hour’s labor (mine), and less than $1 in pins. OP’s choice.

1 Like

I think the top answer will be your best, but in case you have time to kill: How Much Does It Cost To Replace A Car's Headliner - Car Talk

I would think a replacement headliner from salvage yard would be cheaper route. Uh, what’s wrong with it? Saggy? Stinks? Smoker?

I wonder if a diy’er could make their own headliner from fabric store fabric. Seems pretty simple, cut to size w/scissors, needle & thread sewing in a few places. The edges of the material are covered with the car’s trim for the most part. Seems like it would be worth the time & effort if home-brew solution saves $1000 on materials cost. I guess one problem w/this idea, the fabric has to be very light-weight, so the typical fabric store may not carry that sort of product.

1 Like

Headliners in folding hardtops are typically more like a trim panel than the drooping fabric of the old cars.

Trim panels that are sold in very low volume are usually very expensive. More reasonable to have an automotive trim shop repair the old panel, likely under $500.

I have had headliners reupholstered in 2 cars. One was $375, the other $550. But I live in an area with inexpensive upholstery shops. Your experience may vary…

You can order factory matching headliner material on line very cheap, so I would stay out of fabric shops unless sewing a dress. I’ve done several. Not particularly had but takes some effort. There is a great YouTuber on all kinds of auto upholstery subjects if you care to look. I get the impression that a lot of the folks here are just not the do it yourself types anymore. It was interesting though he sprays the adhesive with a paint sprayer. Always curious what he used for a sprayer since my only experience spraying glue was in a plant in 1968. Said he uses a $27 harbor freight sprayer
out of the box.

Speaking of spray guns, my bil has been doing great body work and painting since the 60s. On his latest project I asked him what kind of gun he uses since my old one has seen better days. I expected a $700 devilbis or Sata but he said no just the $20 harbor freight gun. Buys a couple at a time and just throws them away when they don’t work. I bought one, works fine.

You can see old school upholstery with Rudolph. He has one on headliners. Great guy.

Michael’s has the correct kind of fabric.
It’s not the fabric, it’s the labor and taking the headliner board down without breaking anything else in the car. Plus, if the foam that the headliner board is made of has deteriorated, be prepared for a big mess inside the car.

1 Like

I’ve ordered oem colors from atrim in Oklahoma a couple times and from a wholesaler in St. Paul for the elf amino. They have the swatch books to look up the original color numbers. I’m

Also the OP has a fairly low-volume Euro sports coupe. Mustang upholstery repairs in general probably costs less than Volvos.

1 Like

The Mustang is fine… the cheaper of the 2 was my Avalanche. Big but easy to remove and recover. The higher cost was an Audi A4 with a sunroof. New fabric on the headliner and sunroof shade.

Thankyou all for your suggestion however i am still yet to know what to do exactly. Unfortunately junk yard don’t have 2011 c70 volvo around me. I was trying to avoid my car dealership …i don’t seem to find a suitable solution. It is not your fault. I don’t know where to go from here. This is center headliner problem that needs a replacement.

Do you have any auto trim shops or auto upholstery shops in your area? Check yellow pages, Google etc. Another idea, ask your car insurance agent, they may know of a local shop that does this sort of work.

2 Likes

Is the headliner damaged beyond repair? Dirty? Burned? Bullet holes?

For a customer, the dealers service department would quote the price for a new headliner panel. If the car belonged to the dealer’s used car department, it would be repaired by the auto upholstery shop they frequently do business with.

1 Like

Likely there is not going to be a brand new one available in the right color, or at an affordable price. So you either go to an auto upholstery shop to have it done or learn diy skills and do it yourself.
Underneath the fabric is likely a hard styrofoam shell that is likely still intack. Just a matter of taking the shell down and gluing new material to it. Not rocket science.

Just go to a reputable upholstery shop

This is their bread and butter and they’ll take care of it

FWIW . . . I got a few headliners done on our cars

They’ve already held up longer and better than the material from the factory

I would recommend AGAINST getting a used headliner from a junkyard . . . that’s a lot of trouble to go to, only to have it probably start drooping soon afterwards

4 Likes