Headliner

INSTALLATION OF VOLVO HEADLINER. IS IT DIFFICULT. I HAVE MATERIAL FROM JO ANN FABRICS. LOCTITE ADHESIVE. CAN I DO IT ALONE FIRST TIME

A service manual would be helpful. You will have to remove a LOT of interior trim in order to get the headliner out. I would rate this job as difficult, yes, or at least extremely time-consuming.

That doesn’t mean you can’t do it, just don’t expect to have the headliner out in 15 minutes.

If the material is sagging, a really inexpensive fix is upholstery screws. They don’t look the best but they work and cost next to nothing. If you use upholstery screws you won’t have to remove the headliner.

I hope you are not expecting this to look anything like the factory headliner you are going to be disappointed.

BTW let’s loose the ALL CAPS. It is hard for most people to read and it is considered shouting.

It’s really not as hard as you might think. You may be more satisfied with the job if you get some actual headliner material, however. Check out this site: http://www.wlsheadliners.com/. They have everything you will need plus some videos showing how.

If you are going to go to all the trouble of replacing it, then get the stuff that matches the original. You can get it from Atrim.com in Oklahoma for about $30. Headliner material has foam attached to it. I don’t think JoAnnes Fabric stores stocks it. Also you need to use the spray 3M heavy duty adhesive or it’ll fall right down again.

To do it you have to take down the headliner shell. Usually a styrofoam shell so enough trim disassembly to get it down. Then scrape off all of the old material and residual decomposed foam. Then you spray half of it and cover it and then the other half. Trim and reinstall.

You never specified what the material was. Fabric stores have many types of material.

i had this problem and went to a fabric store and bought enough hawaiian print fabric to cover the inside. i pinned it with tack like pins that i inserted at a side angle, so that gravity would take longer to work. i shoved the edges under the trim with a regular dinner knife and put more pins at the edges. works like i a charm and cost me about 15 bucks. i cleared the car of everything and laid down the seats so that i could do this while laying on my back. i now have very cheerful head liner.