2011 Honda CR-V - D blinking - what does it mean?

the letter D for Drive keep blinking on and off
2011 Crv- 4wdrive 117, 000 miles have has it 3yrs

There’s an internal problem in the transmission. There should be a code stored like when the check engine light comes on. Have the diagnostic code scanned and proceed from there. If you post the code one of the real mechanics here can tell you what the likely cause is.

1 Like

+1
In fact, the Owner’s Manual for my Accord had wording to that effect, and it also stated that failure to correct the problem promptly could lead to more expensive transmission repairs.

Has the OP read what his Owner’s Manual has to say on this topic?

4 Likes

Of course they have, Doesn’t everyone? :sweat_smile: :rofl:

3 Likes

[quote="PvtPublic, "VDCdriver,
Has the OP read what his Owner’s Manual has to say on this topic?

What is an owner’s manual?

To quote our now-departed forum member, Mountainbike:
It’s the least-read best-seller in the world.

4 Likes

He had it right I believe we would get a lot less questions on what this light means or what this button does or what grade of gas or oil to use if everyone would read it.

1 Like

Several years back, when it was suggested to a new forum member that the best answer to her question could be found in her Owner’s Manual, her response was something along the lines of
 Only an engineer could understand what it says in that book. :scream:

I think that she might have been confusing repair manuals with Owner’s Manuals, but that is just a guess on my part.

2 Likes

I get badges for posting links to Owners Manuals. They are all online now, and it’s fair to consider that most used cars do not come with their manuals anymore.

Here’s a link to a page with all the official manuals for this car:

https://owners.honda.com/vehicles/information/2011/CR-V/manuals

Here’s what the Owners Manual for the 2011 CR-V says:

The ‘‘D’’ indicator comes on for a
few seconds when you turn the
ignition switch to the ON (II)
position. If it flashes while driving (in
any shift position), it indicates a
possible problem in the transmission.
If the malfunction indicator lamp
comes on along with the ‘‘D’’
indicator, there is a problem with the
automatic transmission control
system. Avoid rapid acceleration, and
have the transmission checked by
your dealer as soon as possible.

3 Likes

Did not hear that, so sorrry. I do not know about your owners manual, mine must be 100 pages of seat belt and child carrier safety. Who even knows if the manual came with the used car when purchased. If you know the answer help people, quit the rtfm anine response.

1 Like

If you continue to help people instead of insulting them for not reading a 425 page book you will become an outcast here.

3 Likes

Posting manuals is a subversive act by a raging West Coast liberal.

3 Likes

You probably even appreciate my ex-neighbor, Nancy Pelosi. Well, not too close a neighbor. She grew up in Baltimore’s Little Italy. I did live very close to another well known liberal, Kwese Mfume. He moved to my old neighborhood, and I used to talk to him occasionally on my walks. Nice guy, I enjoyed talking to him.

I strongly suspect current manuals are strongly influenced by manufacturers’ respective Legal departments. Less intent to inform owners than to cover corporate posteriors.

4 Likes

That Honda manual I posted a link for is over 400 pages. A lot of it is pretty elementary, but with all the electronic gizmos on cars now it pays to at least page through and see what’s there. Setting up the automatic cruise control can be challenging the first time you try it.

1 Like

I think you could go stronger than “suspect” and just say portions ARE editted by the legal team to reduce any liabilities. It’s a necessity in this day and age. Everybody wants to shake that tree over anything these days. When a burglar can sue a homeowner for injuries sustained on their property while committing a crime, something is obviously wrong. Not only with the law but with the people.

2 Likes

Our Honda salesmen always offered to synchronize our cell phones. Honda corporate had it on their checklist. They also went through an explanation of all the electronics, again a Honda checklist item.

While the lawyers certainly earn their pay when bulking up the owners manual, the real cause of bulky manuals is the complexity of cars and their amazing systems and features. Before I bought my 2018 Mazda6 GTR I went online and read the entire manual cover to cover. I understand that this is unusual behavior and I have the advantage of mechanical and electrical expertise and a near photographic memory. But it mystifies me how people can operate such a complex piece of machinery without reading “the instructions”.

The other thing to consider is that manuals are written for ALL trims and features of a given model. While I had almost every option on my car, anyone buying a “Sport” trim of the Mazda6 could safely ignore about half of the manual.

2 Likes