2010 Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Salesperson's vehicle

I just started a job in sales. Although I am perfectly comfortable and content in my dinged-up Hyundai Elantra, I feel I need more of a luxury car (my peers drive BMWs, Infinitis, and Audis) for the sake of appearance (ugh!). My husband offered me his 2010 Mercedes C300, which is fine (Mercedes is a bit ostentatious for me), but it doesn’t have Bluetooth. What I would like, ideally, is a used smallish luxury car that gets good mileage (hybrid would be great!!) and has tech features like bluetooth. I’m fond of the Audi TT Coupe or S5 Coupe, but… feeling overwhelmed by the choices. Can you help me figure this out? (This isn’t really a question about the Mercedes, but the Make/Model fields are required…)

Drive the Mercedes until you can be sure of your new employment . I would guess most of those vehicles you mention belong to successful sales people who have been there a while. You don’t say how much you will drive and a used luxury vehicle can be a very large money pit. You might even not like the job after a while or find out you are not making near enough to afford the things you are looking at.

Edit: Do a Google search about adding Bluetooth to your present vehicle.

1 Like

Stop thinking like you need to “Fake it until you Make it” and drive the Elantra. Or if you just must show off, drive the Merc until you actually DO make it!

Agree with @VOLVO_V70 's advice and look into having Bluetooth or more likely and hands-free phone system installed. I am VERY surprised the Merc doesn’t have that considering it is VERY illegal to phone and drive without hands-free in Germany. Talk to the Mercedes dealer as well, maybe there is an ad-on.

In your sales job, does your company have guidelines for the vehicle you drive when you represent them? Will you have customers in the vehicle? I was in sales for a couple decades in high tech. I understand your quandry. You want a decent car for all the driving you will do, plus you need to not look like a suffering bum when you arrive at a clients place of business (and possibly take them out in your “work” vehicle.) Having been a sales manager for a crew covering N America, I would not allow a well-compensated salesperson to drive a junker and then reimburse them for it. I never had to really make that decision because all the companies I worked at (Fortune 500 and also small and private) had guidelines for vehicles used in company biz. The usual answer is a “Premium” vehicle. Like Lexus or Acura, or a high end mainstream car, like an Accord Touring. Keeping the old Merc is one option, but if you are really out on the road you are going to want Android Auto, Waze and Google Maps in addition to just BlueTooth. If you’re comfortable in the job, and the company is reimbursing you (or even if you are taking the $0.545 per mile tax deduction) there is no reason not be driving a newer, safer, better-equipped vehicle. Just my two cents having been there and done that. Sorry to tell you, but a coupe of any kind is generally not a business vehicle. Many folks who are in sales end up leasing. That provides them with a fixed cost of ownership which they primarily pay for with the tax deduction or the reimbursement.

It’s easy to add Bluetooth to a car, and a LOT cheaper than getting some other expensive used car with unknown problems (especially if it’s German). The Mercedes sounds ideal for you.

Stick with the Benz for now.

Frankly. I would rather do business with someone that drives a dinged-up Hyundai than with someone that is faking success by driving a luxury car.

1 Like

What about a Tesla? That would send the message to your colleagues you are a forward-thinker.

Don’t dismiss the value of giving a good first impression to others when you are a salesperson. It is very effective; cars and watches are probably the two best possessions to focus on that are quick and easy to do to be successful in the sales world. In other professions those sorts of things don’t matter much if at all. but in sales and marketing they definitely do matter. Whatever car you decide on, make sure it is clean and free of clutter inside and out and detailed frequently.

Not in my opinion

It would be seen primarily as a luxury car

All Teslas on the road now are luxury cars, make no mistake about it

Even the model 3, or whatever the new sedan is called, is considered an entry level luxury car. I seem to remember there were no immediate plans to sell the lower trim-level model 3 at this time, maybe not ever

A Tesla, right just what I would want my salesman to drive. I can just see that thing needing a charge in my parking lot without a place to plug it in.

1 Like

Personally, I see a Tesla Model S first and foremost as a good size luxury sedan, and distantly as an ev

Ironically enough . . . because I don’t really like what I’ve seen of Elon Musk over the years . . . that’s probably just how the average consumer is supposed to perceive these cars

The model S is so common here, it appears to be a viable alternative to a 7 series, S-class, LS, etc.

I saw some information on the Model 3 recently. Tesla is supposed to come out with a new model 3 sub-model priced in the mid-$50s, with the $35,000 version coming out in a year or two. The current model 3 is solidly in the luxury car price range, probably in the mid-$60s to start.

Here’s what Car & Driver said about the 2018 Model 3 pricing

MSRP: From $49,000
Battery charge time: 12h at 220V
Horsepower: 271 hp
Battery: 75 kWh 350 V lithium-ion
Curb weight: 3,838 to 4,072 lbs

Configurations
Long Range $49,000
Long Range AWD $55,000
Performance $64,000

I thought they were intending to sell them for less than those prices.

Where’d you get that idea . . . ?! :thinking:

We’ve talked about the model 3 pricing, sales and production on this very website a few times already

And it’s been pointed out that Tesla doesn’t seem to be in any hurry to sell the lower trim level model 3, the one that got all the hype because it seemed like a car for those who aren’t wealthy

Bloomberg news. "Elon Musk’s Model 3, once touted as Tesla’s $35,000 car "

Apparently the price was intended to begin at $35 K, which is the number I recall. But the ones they are currently selling are more.

Pure marketing hype, for the most part, at least for now

If you’ll recall those car sales ads where it says in fine print “1 at this price” :smirk:

I’m not paying $60K for a Model 3, that’s for sure.

George, you were never in their target for sales in the first place.

1 Like