2010 Honda CR-V Maintenance Schedule

Does anyone know where I can get a schedule of maintenance for my CR-V? The car ahs a “maintenance minder” system so the owner’s manual does not list maintenance schedules, just “do this when the code says X.” This is nice, but I’d like some guidelines on WHEN to do maintenance and not just wait until the idiot lights tell me to service it.

Deb, Your Saleperson Should Have Gone Over The Documents That Came Your With Car. There Should Be An Owner’s Manual, Service Schedule And Log, And Warranty Information, Etcetera.

These are important documents and should always remain with the car and a portfolio should have been included in which to keep them. I’d go back to the dealer and ask where they are. I’m really surprised that you did not receive a proper introduction to your car.

You are correct that it certainly wouldn’t be a good way to properly maintain a car by waiting for an “idiot light” to signal you and it certainly is less than convenient if not down right scary.

CSA

I have looked in the owner’s manual and other documents that I received. Only thing i found is what I mentioned in my question. I also emailed the Service Dept. of the dealership. Hopefully they can tell me!

https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/login.asp

Honda owner’s link. sign up and see what it tells you on there.

If it’s like my 2008 Ridgeline than there is no maintenance schedule included with the vehicle. All the owners manual has is the definitions of the different codes that appear on the screen, such as A123. In this case A meaning oil change, 1 meaning tire rotation, 2 meaning air filter replacement and 3 meaning transmission fluid service.

Thanks. I tried that already with no luck.

The idiot lights are smarter than we are.

There is no “WHEN”. is the best time or miles to change oil. The best is when it needs it and without testing the oil or keeping really good history of driving conditions (how many miles at near over heated or miles a below 0? conditions etc.?

This is another one of those times when new technology is likely to turn out better than we think.

In theory the computer has the potential to be more accurate than a human will be.

Cars don’t need maintenance every X miles or X months. They need new oil when the existing oil is beginning to loose its ability to do it’s job, same with spark plugs etc. If the on board computer is keeping better track of it than we do with the time or miles guesses, then it is great. When the car manufacturer recommends changing oil at X months, they don’t know how you drive. They then have to use the worse case and say maybe 5,000 miles when the oil in YOUR car may be fine for 15,000 miles. Changing early will not make your car last longer.

The computer has the ability to do it better than we do.  Let's face it the time or miles is guess work.  It treats all drivers the same, while their driving conditions and styles are not likely to be the same.  

That said, this idea is new to consumer cars.  I can't say that it is accurate.  I suspect it is better than most people think, but we will not know for another maybe another ten or more years. 

I will predict that in another 15 years there will still be drivers who change their oil ever 3,000 miles (not needed for any modern consumer car under normal conditions) and those who will ignore the service engine light, and never change their oil as they do today.

Actually, it’s not so new. My 1984 BMW has a ‘service’ indicator that is based on many different data inputs from the engine. It has a series of green lights that eventually go off one by on. They use the for oil system and also major inspections.

None the less, BMW also provided a maintenance schedule and Honda should do the same.