2010 ford ranger hard shifting

Thanks @Rod-Knox. @fleetmanager gave me some mercy points for my scavenger hunt. I am content with being right enough for George’s question, if not the OP. :wink:

Looks like some motorcycle friction plates in there

1 Like

Back to the topic.

I spoke with the dealership and even went in and spoke with the mechanic. With out even looking at the truck he told me the clutch master cylinder is not the issue and the air must be getting in threw the slave cylinder. We went back and forth for about 20 mins. I made a point of saying that the time line doesn’t make sense. The clutch was replaced 4 months before the CMC was replaced and the issue of air in the CMC started a month after it was replaced. I also pointed out that the air was in the CMC and not the the line between the slave and the p- trap.
What do you all think? Am I getting hustled by every mechanic I meet?

I tend to concur w/your mechanic, problem isn’t likely the CMC. The line (tube) between the CMC and the SC is very simple to bleed. It’s just one line going to one place, and downhill all the way for the most part. That config is nearly self-bleeding. Plus you say pumping the clutch pedal doesn’t help, another clue the problem isn’t the CMC.

That’s a fun photo, but no, it’s not the one I’m thinking about. Shows Tom by himself, smiling of course, laying horizontally on the floor of the garage, covered in grease head to toe, his arms wrapped around a transmission, w/the transmission almost laying on top of him. It’s shaped sort of like a silver-colored mini-submarine.

As I recall it was contained on a web page that described the history of the show and their shop.

Air is getting into the line some how. A week and a half after removing and bleeding the line I can feel an air pocket growing threw the pedal. Also the angle that the CMC is installed allows for air to get trapped in it, making the system not self bleeding at all.

Quite a puzzle you go there OP. Keep us informed, we’re all interested in the solution.

Good news! The original mechanic has agreed to drop the transmission and replace the parts installed under warranty. Unfortunately It will be several months before the parts come in.

The ranger is back on the road.

After beng parked for the last couple months waiting for parts to come in.
I got the truck back about three weeks ago. Clutch kit was replaced by original mechanic under warranty. I was told they found no sign of leaking fluid or other issues.
Thankfully I haven’t had any more issues with not beng able to get into gear while driving (Second was the biggest culprit) Also I don’t feeling the clutch petal slowly engaging lower (air in the hydraulics) I still have a issue with not being able to shift straight into second gear when parked.

I have since bought another vehicle and My father has taken over the Ranger. If anything more comes up with this issue Ill keep this post updated.

Thank you everyone for posting and
@George_San_Jose1 for sticking around.

1 Like

Thanks for the follow-up. Is the current theory for the cause of the persistant spongey clutch pedal a malfunctioning slave cylinder inside the transmission bell-housing?

I doubt that’s diagnostic of any problem. Normal in other words. Similar to my Corolla, shifting from neutral into reverse, first, or second when the engine is turned off can be a little balky.