2010 Ford Focus SE Ignition Issues

Hey guys, so our secondary car has been giving us a little bit of trouble here lately. Occasionally when you go to crank it, it just doesn’t start. The accessories come on and all the electronics power up, but it doesn’t do anything when you finish turning the ignition all the way. It doesn’t even try to fire. Usually all you have to do is shake the key around while it’s in the ignition and try again, and it cranks right up. So maybe it’s some kind of short? I’m not sure. When I Google it, almost everything says it’s a problem with the ECM. Which it has been running kind of rough. Like losing power on acceleration. I also got a check engine light a couple of weeks ago, I’ll attach the code to this post. I also uploaded a video of the ignition problem to YouTube so I could link it to this post. Sorry about the door chime, I was running late for work and it was giving me a hard time. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance everyone.

Try shifting the transmission into neutral and then try starting engine.

If the engine starts, it points to a problem with the park/neutral safety switch.

Tester

Like @Tester stated, the starting problem is due to something wrong with the starter safety circuit. The shifter has to be in Park or Neutral for the starter to work. That has nothing to do with error code you showed us. It is a separate issue from the starter circuit.

I’m going to go a different direction. If you can start it by jiggling the ignition key, it’s probably not the neutral safety switch. My money’s on a bad ignition switch. The code you posted is for the evaporative control system for the fuel tank. A good mechanic with hands on the vehicle can diagnose and fix both problems.

1 Like

I noticed that the lighting for the gauges goes out, seems like there is an odd problem with the electronics.