2010-2011 Acura TSX vs. Volkswagen CC

Check out the Infiniti G25 or G37.

Try a TL instead of a TSX. Their screens are deeply recessed. You’d be hard pressed to find an angle where the sun would glare them out.

We have 3 VWs in the family. A 2002 Jetta TDI, a 2008 Passat and a 2010 Tiguan. All have been trouble free. I think it is hard to claim that we have been lucky as previous cars were not nearly as reliable (of course they were Chrysler products). Since you are looking at cars that are not simply “transportation” but also fun to drive, get the one that fits you most comfortably and you like.

Yes, I mean “fits you”. Pay attention to things like seat comfort after driving/riding for over an hour. Not saying that either car is uncomfortable, just that everybody is slightly different in build and will find different cars more or less comfortable. Check on the dead pedal (left side foot-rest) to see if it actually fits your foot. I test drove a Forester that didn’t have room for my size 13 shoe. Drive each car at night to see if all the controls are well illuminated for you and easy to find.

german cars are garbage in 4 years.

You may want to examine iihs.org, the site for the insurance institute for highway safety. They did offset crash tests for several cars and the VW CC performed poorly – as I recall, it was the first time a door had come off during a frontal crash. Not sure how the TSX fared, but these tests may guide you to make another choice.

@methamphetamine

I agree that German cars can be quite expensive to hang onto , for various reasons.

I do NOT agree that “german cars are garbage in 4 years”

I understand your concerns, but I think you are being just a tad extreme in your statement?

I’m on my second Acura with no problems. The TSX had the 4 cyl and a little small so we went with the TL again. There is no problem with the sun with the 2012 model. We had an 08 without the navigation system and that bubble in the center was hard to read in the sun. I didn’t like it and thought it looked cheap but was just irritating and not a significan problem. Sometimes the Japanese stylists are just plain weird. I’d certainly pass on a used VW and really wouldn’t be interested in a new one myself.

IIHS tests do not show the CC as performing poorly! Check out the website. In fact the 2013 cc is a top safety pick based on how other vehicles also performed. Here are the results for 2009-2013:

Good on Moderate overlap front test
Marginal on Small overlap front test
Good on Side impact
Good on Roof strength

Power seats Good for both dynamic and seat/head restraint geometry.

These ratings are identical to the TSX (post 2008) older ones were worse.

“german cars are garbage in 4 years.”

So, @methamphetamine, how do you explain @silvergc1’s 2002 Jetta TDI and 2008 Passat? Both are over 4 years old.